Talk

Advanced search

does anyone know what RSA stands for?

(26 Posts)
iwearflairs Thu 28-Jun-07 15:46:14

DS and I have recently had truck with an 'educationalist' who amongst other qualifications has R.S.A. after her name.

Anyone have the faintest idea what this is please?

ledodgy Thu 28-Jun-07 15:49:57

I think they are secretarial qualifications.

iwearflairs Thu 28-Jun-07 18:14:49

oh dear that is not encouraging!

Boredveryverybored Thu 28-Jun-07 18:16:36

RSA is typing as far as I know. You can have rsa levels 1 2 and 3. Secretaries would normally have rsa quals.

PestoMonster Thu 28-Jun-07 18:19:14

secretarial qualifications

hana Thu 28-Jun-07 18:20:58

what is an educationalist?
sounds odd

it's not a educational psycologist?

Quattrocento Thu 28-Jun-07 18:22:27

republic of south africa

Quattrocento Thu 28-Jun-07 18:23:38

also a strange secret society

http://www.rsa.org.uk/

TequilaMockinBird Thu 28-Jun-07 18:25:20

I have a few RSA qualifications - all related to typing and word processing!

wheresthehamster Thu 28-Jun-07 18:27:32

When I was at school in the sixties the clever kids did maths O-level and the others did RSA arithmatic.

wheresthehamster Thu 28-Jun-07 18:27:57

Or even arithmetic.

TequilaMockinBird Thu 28-Jun-07 18:28:54

Royal Society of Arts i think it stands for - cant find a website though

j20baby Thu 28-Jun-07 18:30:41

normally word processing qualifications i think

juuule Thu 28-Jun-07 18:38:38

Definitely Royal Society of Arts. There is a RSA Counselling Skills qualification. Perhaps the 'educationalist' has one of them.

Mercy Thu 28-Jun-07 18:39:07

It's an examination board irrc - Royal Society of Arts - which has now become something else afaik. I think it used to be mainly 'secretarial' based ie, typing, shorthand but now deals with loads of other types of qualifications.

iwearflairs Thu 28-Jun-07 18:44:42

Ah.... the plot thickens. I don't have the foggiest what an educationalist is, I think I must have made it up!

So it sounds like this person possibly has secretarial skills, possibly works as an examiner.

juuule Thu 28-Jun-07 18:47:41

Here's an explanation as to where the RSA examining board went.http://www.rsa.org.uk/archive/examinations.htm

iwearflairs Thu 28-Jun-07 18:51:40

Sorry to have been so vague in previous posts - this is a woman who claims to be a special educational needs adviser, so it's clear this qualification has nothing to do with that....

Hallgerda Thu 28-Jun-07 20:44:20

I've come across a few head teachers who had FRSA after their names. The Royal Society for Arts does more than just secretarial stuff - indeed, according to Wikipedia they had a hand in the Mutiny on the Bounty - oh, and the Blue Plaque scheme. Am I starting to sound like a conspiracy theorist?

iwearflairs Thu 28-Jun-07 21:18:49

omg I have been to a drinking club in the basement of that building in younger days though nothing as high falutin' was going on there as per website, I can assure you!

think aforementioned educationalist must be associated with the examining board as she is a teacher.

thanks all

bookwormmum Thu 28-Jun-07 21:35:04

I think I'd ask her what they are. The RSA secretarial qualifications aren't the sort that earn you 'letters' after your name - you need to get a degree or higher for that.

Bookwormmum (RSA level 1)

ludaloo Thu 28-Jun-07 21:40:22

Royal Society of Arts

I don't think it is anything fancy though....I failed GCSE maths miserably (several times )
I then sat an RSA maths exam (equivelant to a GCSE "C" )as a last ditch attempt to get me through to university (which I passed)

As far as I know RSA covers a wide range of subjects...its just an alternative examination/qualification.

islandofsodor Thu 28-Jun-07 22:09:31

A girl I went to school with who had special needs did RSA qualifications instead of normal GCSE's so maybe they cater well to this type of child or something.

TequilaMockinBird Thu 28-Jun-07 22:32:22

Pmsl BWM! I wonder if BTEC works too

TequilaMockinBird R.S.A.G.C.S.E.B.T.E.C (oh I likeeeeeee that )

bookwormmum Fri 29-Jun-07 10:39:08

TMB - I think you have to list the higher qualifications first so the BTEC would go before the GCSE/RSA .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now