Talk

Advanced search

Needing advice for university

(6 Posts)
MommaBee97 Sun 11-Feb-18 22:33:28

So I'm young momma (aged 21) expecting my second baby, my eldest is 4. For the past year I've been saying I want to get out of my part time retail job and start studying for a career, I've always wanted to work within the A&E nursing department. During school I achieved high grades A and B grades, so I figured why not put them to good use! I've been looking at a foundation degree which lasts for 4 years (full time) and because me and my partner aren't living together just yet I had a look at what student loan I could get. £6,165 for my course and over £8000 for living costs! That's not including tax credits, is this right?! I feel like it's far too much! Can somebody give me advice, about university full stop. How many days you attend a week full time?

BackforGood Sun 11-Feb-18 23:51:57

Totally depends on the course, but Nursing is pretty full on. The periods when you are on placement, more so.

catslife Sun 18-Feb-18 17:52:35

Is the £6,165 the tuition fee element? That part of the loan goes directly to the uni to pay for the tuition fees rather than to you.
I don't think full time students get tax credits, you have to be working at least part-time which is difficult to do with nursing as it's a fairly full timetable.

FabulouslyGlamorousFerret Sun 18-Feb-18 17:59:42

Is the new Nursing Associate role? .. I'm an old bugger, is that not just a throwback to the 'enrolled' nurse days?

McDougal Sun 18-Feb-18 18:04:35

I get tax credits and I'm a student (not nursing) but I have a few friends who are nurses.

Bear in mind that nursing is very full on so you'll need bulletproof childcare but you can get help with up to 85% of the costs from student finance.

I suppose it does seem generous but I went from working full time to full time education so it seemed like a massive drop for me!

ABitOTT Mon 19-Feb-18 00:30:14

There are nursing apprenticeships available nowadays. They take four years to complete but you are paid (I believe) £140 approx a week. You wouldn't be entitled to a student loan but your tuition is paid for under the scheme. The first year's study means a two days a week commitment so there's still an opportunity to work as well, After that it would be a huge challenge to juggle study, work placements & employment.

My DD has a friend who is in her first year as a mature student. (Practically ancient at 22!) The apprenticeship has worked out cheaper for her plus shes studying at her first choice university.

Google nursing apprenticeships & see if this is a better option for you? I wish you the very best as we are in dire need of nurses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now