Talk

Advanced search

I think hubby is telling me a porkie : ))

(10 Posts)
soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 21:40:02

So I couldn't help ds with his piechart tonight - managed to work out the degrees but couldn't remember how to use a protractor (the shame).

Dh tells son there are many ways to work out a piechart and what's the context. He won't help ds and said a protractor is unnecessary. He claims to have a B at GCSE....I'm not convinced.

Is there really another way to complete a pie chart or is there a sense of pride being bashed a bit?

soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 21:41:58

Ds has just told me dh spent an hour showing him how to do percentages to work out his piechart - is it possible to do it this way?

CaptWentworth Wed 20-Sep-17 21:42:48

What are the values for the pie chart?

Changerofname987654321 Wed 20-Sep-17 21:43:34

There are loads of videos/advice on the internet on how to use a protractor.

I call BS one anyone who says there is a special method but I am not going to tell you.

Why did your DH not help with the homework?

soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 21:44:59

Hi CapWentworth - the values are 9, 13, 2 and 6 so I worked the degrees out to be 108, 156, 29, 72. I just can't remember how to use the protector....dh says we shouldn't be using a protractor but working out percentages....

soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 21:46:54

He did Changerofname - he showed him how to work out the percentages for each value...even though he already knew that...and said it didn't need to be accurately drawn.

QuackDuckQuack Wed 20-Sep-17 21:54:25

You're right about the degrees (though you've got a typo for 24). Unless the teacher has said that estimates are ok and he doesn't need to use a protractor then I'd expect him to use a protractor. It works a bit like a ruler, but going round and I'd expect him to have used a protractor in class. Working out the degrees strikes me as the hard bit of the question.

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Sep-17 21:57:07

I had a bunch of Y7s work out percentages instead of degrees for a pie chart in a test last year and I've no idea why, it wasn't anything I've taught them. They all got it wrong, so it's clearly not a great method!

I think you can get 360 degree protractors with percentages marked on so perhaps they've been using these, but they're not allowed in GCSE exams so it's not a habit to encourage.

Your method is correct (should be 24 not 29 degrees), pie charts need to be accurate and your DS should be using a protractor (draw a line from the centre to the edge, then measure the first angle from that at the centre and work your way around).

soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 22:32:37

Thank you so much for the feedback - I'll have another go and let dh get away with it ; ))

soggysummeragain Wed 20-Sep-17 22:33:27

And thanks for the typo - it's ds's handwriting - another topic we need to discuss for his maths.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now