Talk

Advanced search

Headington School, Oxfordshire

(15 Posts)
InSuspense Fri 10-Feb-17 12:02:00

Hi I am new to Mumsnet so might get my abbreviations wrong here so I apologise in advance. My DD sat the test for Headington for yr 7 entry and has been offered a waiting list place. I just wondered if anybody has any experience of being on a waiting list for Headington Senior school, what are the chance of getting a place for year 7? Also does anybody know when the deadline is for accepting the place by those who were offered a place, I know it is in March but would love to know what date it is as we will know whether there are any places left after that date. Many thanks for any advice!

Pradaqueen Fri 10-Feb-17 20:19:50

National acceptance date is March 6th. Lists should start to move after that date. HTH. Good luck to your DD

CookieDoughKid Fri 10-Feb-17 20:47:32

Do we have any idea how long these waiting lists are? And is allocation in order of exam mark?

InSuspense Fri 10-Feb-17 21:01:04

Thank you Pradaqueen.
I would love to know how long the list is but the admissions dept has been very vague about it....

ImaginaryCat Fri 10-Feb-17 21:17:46

I used to do admissions for a competitor school (many girls sat for us, Headington and one other). Our waiting list was about 30. So 90 concrete offers, 30 WL offers. Normally about 12 of the WL would quickly convert to offers, but some of those would decline. We'd often get almost to the bottom of our WL girls. But every year was different. Always depends on Kendrick, that's the big decider. If they have 2000 applicants for 200 places as they had one year most offers take up the independent places. If the grammar pool is smaller, the WL list sees a lot of movement.
Sorry if this doesn't help. You might still be hanging on until April to find out. It's a stressful system I'm afraid.

Pradaqueen Fri 10-Feb-17 21:18:15

There was another thread where a more experienced mum in these matters suggested that in anticipation of a waiting list moving, you should ensure that the admissions team are aware that you are ready to accept the place should you be offered it. Why not try that? You have nothing to lose at this point.

InSuspense Fri 10-Feb-17 21:31:20

Thank you so much for your insight and advice. I have thought of telling the admissions that we are very keen but I got the impression that it didn't matter, I thought they maybe have their own system of choosing from the WL and that's it.
I wonder if I can tell them about other skills and talents my DD has and whether that would help ....

Pradaqueen Fri 10-Feb-17 21:40:48

No I wouldn't go overboard as they have your application. Just make it clear 1. You'd appreciate any feedback they have regarding your DD's application 2. If you are given the opportunity you'd love a place and are ready to accept. 3. Commend them on their application process and how your DD enjoyed it. That should do it!

InSuspense Fri 10-Feb-17 22:12:10

Thank you, I will take your advice. Will call after half term to let them know we are still very interested.

Pradaqueen Fri 10-Feb-17 22:17:09

Definitely call/ email during half term. Don't wait until after. Most admissions department work through this holiday wink

caragrace Mon 27-Feb-17 08:20:50

Hi Insuspence. My daughter is at Headington and we sat very late and only got on the WL. We accepted another place on the deadline but I persevered in April and around Easter they confirmed a place. It really depends what the other options are how late you are prepared to take the risk of losing something else. I can honestly say that places do become available right up to Sept as people drop out very last minute. What are your other options? I do know this year was one of the highest admission applicants for the senior school.

InSuspense Mon 27-Feb-17 08:58:01

Hello caragrace, thank you for the information! Our current pre-prep goes to yr8, so we could potentially stay there but we are thinking of moving towards Oxford as my DS is going to Abingdon so the current location won't be easy to commute to. We have also been offered a place at Cranford House but Headington is the first option. I am happy to wait but would prefer to know sooner rather than later. What did you do to help secure the place? Any tips? I have spoken to admissions a couple of times but get an impression that they don't like too many calls, but I might be wrong...

InSuspense Mon 27-Feb-17 09:00:49

Dear ImaginaryCat
Sorry I ask so late but do you think from the admissions dept perspective parents can do anything to be considered for a place from the WL or the admissions will just work through the list in their own order of preference? Thank you! Any advice is gratefully received)

caragrace Mon 27-Feb-17 09:25:40

My impression of the admissions was that they may prioritise boarding vs day firstly, but secondly it depends how any from the pre prep look to move up or move out. Thirdly, a fair number will be waiting on a 1st choice of another school, so in your shoes. The admissions process does not stop on March 6th at all so if you really want HSO then tell them to keep you on the WL and keep contacting them. A mail is fine rather than phoning. Remember they don't want empty places either. There is a big difference between your 1st and 2nd choice knowing parents at both. HSO is a big commitment with a good upside but Cranford is lovely and welcoming.

InSuspense Mon 27-Feb-17 09:49:21

Thank you caragrace, also thank you for the info on Cranford House, I don't know anybody from there personally but have heard similar things, that it is small and welcoming. My DD is really into sport so cranford is no competition to HSO there!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now