Talk

Advanced search

How's your Y11 doing? Seen any hope that they may pass the odd GCSE, yet?!

(5 Posts)
Draylon Fri 09-Jan-15 10:20:12

DS, very 15 got a surprisingly poor end-of-year 10 report, lots of talk of under-performance, pulling socks up etc. The 'icing' on the cake was that DS, who is in fast paced triple science, 2nd to top maths group (where many of the top already have a GCSE, the odd one Maths 'A' level already!).... failed the Business GCSE the whole of Y10 take. Obtusely, this has worked in our favour as I was able to politely write, in response to his reports, asking why DS hadn't been identified as a potential failer (predicted a B, got a D) and, what could we all do to turn this around? Anyway, he's got a mentor, now, and has to attend a 'club' every week along with 19 other boys who have been identified as clever but underachieving, which I'm pleased about.

He had his mocks before Xmas, results confused next week.... He appeared to study for them, but so did he before the failed summer GCSE!

Anyway, he has applied to do Maths/Sciencey A levels at 2 Sixth form colleges and I'm now a lot more calm; feeling that if he can turn his Y10 report around to reflect his improved understanding about what's at stake, here, he'll be OK to go to 6th form to do A levels; otherwise, at the end of the week, we're going to look at the Tech which might, in itself, spur him on as he's not very practical, hates being cold or outdoors, wants a good standard of living (!), and, if I'm honest, is oddly snobby about Tech goers! Our families are a mix of tradesmen and engineers... I have reminded him that all that stands between him and a plastering apprentice- who, 10 years hence, can be earning decent money!- is academic GCSEs. And, of course, in visiting the Tech, he might see that he can and should enter say engineering at a lower level and work his way up, possibly via a paid-for degree in time!

I have also noted that he has had a lot more work this year. He's doing a good 2 hours work, apparently per evening and stays behind at school to do revision things.

The proof will be in the GCSE pudding!

TeenAndTween Fri 09-Jan-15 12:18:25

You need to join us on the
y11Thread

Draylon Fri 09-Jan-15 21:14:49

Thanks, I'm there! Hey teen I gather you're local to me; are you MB?

TeenAndTween Sat 10-Jan-15 10:22:34

Nope, not MB, the opposition! grin

Draylon Sat 10-Jan-15 17:35:05

RS?! If so, my DSs went to Cupernham Inf & Juns til the end of Y5, so I know it well!

Mine are now at Th.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now