Talk

Advanced search

Waiting lists

(9 Posts)
Zingy123 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:24:10

Sorry for stupid questions never done this before.

Just rang our 1st choice school Dd is 5th on the list. Secretary seemed positive about it.

It is the best state school in the city. We don't have grammar schools but I think some children go to them in other towns. We have three private schools.

Why would anyone give up their place for this school?

Would children at private schools have their places by now?

Thanks

tiggytape Mon 03-Mar-14 16:46:47

Number 5 on a list is a very good place to be in and there's lots of reasons to be positive:

- Some pupils who get offered that school will also have 1, 2 or more private school offers as well. Their parents may take a few days to mull over which offer to accept (there's no limit on how many private school offers you can hold unlike state schools where you only get one each).
Some of those parents will decide give up the place and go private.

- Some people will be in the middle of a house move. Their current address is used for admissions hence they got the school you want but by September they will be in another part of the country and not start at that school at all. They will give up the place when they move over summer

- Some people will have decided to Home Ed and decline the offer of the school you want.

- Some people will have been offered the school you want but not want it. They want another school instead and will get a place from the waiting list which will create a space at the school you want.....

There's lots of possibilities but number 5 is a great position to be in. Don't expect anything to happen immediately but fingers crossed you'll have good news by Easter.

Zingy123 Mon 03-Mar-14 16:50:11

Thanks tiggytape. It's so nervewracking.

Dd is being positive bless her.

Secretary was lovely and said to ring her anytime.

NWgirls Mon 03-Mar-14 16:55:10

I'm no expert but it seems that private school offer and acceptance dates vary throughout the country (and between schools), so it depends where you are. You could check those dates for the nearest private schools if you wish.

In London, many private schools have acceptance deadlines a day or two after the national offer day (today), so if this is similar where you are, things might move very quickly.

People give up school places even at good schools for a raft of reasons (move, travel time, siblings at other schools, don't like the "feel", go private etc). People who have received spaces in the first round might not all have your school as their first preference and might give up the space if they get a waiting list place at a higher preference. Good luck!

Harriebabe Mon 03-Mar-14 17:00:31

Oh, that sounds very encouraging Zingy.

I've another thread also but am just wondering whether I too should ring the school to find out where we are on the waiting list?

The LEA have said that the waiting list will be established on 17th March so we will know on the 18th - so I assumed we wouldn't be able to find anything out until then but perhaps the school already knows??

Sorry, I know none of you have a crystal ball and can't know the answer but any advice gratefully received!

Zingy123 Mon 03-Mar-14 20:16:22

This is an Academy that does their own list apparently.

Feel more positive now been speaking to some Mum's with children at our 3rd choice which we got and they are really happy with it.

midnightmoomoo Mon 03-Mar-14 20:17:58

Harriebabe, I'm near you but not Hants, and the schools can't know for sure as we have until the 17th to respond to offers and/or go on waiting lists. We didn't get our first choice but did get our second........so we are thinking about whether we appeal, or just go on the waiting list for our first choice, BUT DS is happy to go to the second choice school (so are we to be fair) and it's the closest to us and had the best results in the city so not bad (except it's in SM)........it's hard isn't it???!!!!

Harriebabe Mon 03-Mar-14 22:31:49

Yep, so hard confused … just have to do what we think is right for them.

Harriebabe Mon 03-Mar-14 22:57:53

Yep, so hard confused … just have to do what we think is right for them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now