Advanced search

do childrens dance classes have to be ofsted registered

(13 Posts)
sexypoledancer Thu 08-Nov-12 14:03:28

Does anybody know if my DD dance teacher has to be ofsted inspected. The dance classes runs for three hours once a week with summer camps in half term.

DeWe Thu 08-Nov-12 14:06:00

Pretty certain no.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 08-Nov-12 14:14:48

no - but they should be accredited by ISTD or equivalent

sexypoledancer Thu 08-Nov-12 14:21:40

Thank you

TheDarkestNight Thu 08-Nov-12 14:24:41

No, but the teacher should be qualified with a dance organisation. The biggest ones are RAD, ISTD, IDTA, BBO, but there are others.

teacherwith2kids Thu 08-Nov-12 17:47:19

They should also, as a matter of course, be CRB checked etc.

TalkinPeace2 Thu 08-Nov-12 21:21:45

who would CRB check the owner of a dancing school?
who would be the umbrella body
as proprietors cannot check themselves
(have looked into this re DH)

sexypoledancer Thu 08-Nov-12 22:20:33

Have heard if you care for a child for more than 2 hours a week you should be ofsted registered. Surely this should apply to a dance teacher or do some people get special consideration. Doesnt make sense

TalkinPeace2 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:21:59

link please

nancy75 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:25:43

I work for a tennis club that offers coaching, we are all, including the owner crb checked, however we do not have to be ofsted registered, something to do with only offering one sport and because it is not actually childcare. I would imagine dancing is much the same.

sexypoledancer Thu 08-Nov-12 22:26:28

This of Ofsted website

You do not have to register with us in the following cases:

If you provide care where a child does not stay with you for more than two hours a day, even if your childcare service is open for longer than two hours.

So if dance class is on for three hours does this mean they have to register

MrsShrek3 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:27:25

The summer school would need to be ofsted registered, the weekly classes usually don't.

nancy75 Thu 08-Nov-12 22:35:18

Depending on what they provide in the summer school it won't need to be registered
Below is from their exclusion list
If (excluding childminders) you provide no more than two activities from the following list.
School study support or homework support
Performing arts
Arts and crafts
Religious, cultural or language study

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: