School in a different town? Would you consider it?(7 Posts)
I have namechanged as I don't want to be outed!
We live really rurally but my DH commutes miles and miles away to work in a large town - years ago we decided to buy a small flat in the town so that he could save himself the mileage and the stress of commuting and stay over 3 nights a week, especially as he often works really late...(we are like an episode of location location location!)
Now my DD1 is approaching secondary school choices we have the option of the local school which is very rural and improving, however the school in the catchment where our small place is (in town) and DH stays is a more up and coming school. We have been to see both and we both much prefer the town one as it has a real buzz to it, it is more ethnically diverse, and there seems a lot more opportunities for the children, to be truthful you can't believe they are both comps as they seem worlds apart.
The downsides is that my DD1 would have to live with her dad 3 or 4 days a week, she is fine with that (we have discussed this with her at length!) but I just wonder whether it is too complicated a set up AND whether it would work admissions wise.
Personally I quite like the idea of moving there as a family, but we have looked into it and we would struggle to find school places for the younger siblings (all schools oversubscribed) unless we were able to pay for private (we are not) and so we are a bit stuck really, plus we'd have to sell our house first and that could take a very long time!
Half of me thinks I am mad to consider this, but half of me thinks that my DD1 would really thrive in the other school, but would also enjoy (especially as a teenager) living in a bigger town with more opportunities and more freedom (she can't really go anywhere on her own here). What are your wise MN's thoughts?
I would move to the town. Most schools are over subscribed but the LA has to give you a place somewhere, and if too far provide transport. If your children are year 3 and above it is well worth appealing for a school place.
I would apply this year given your current address but try to move by the autumn. Family life will be much better with you all living in the town, and you have a back up if you can't sell/buy in time.
Thanks for those thoughts. My DD1 is in Y5 so we have a little bit of time to think things through. Unfortunately her 2 siblings are in Y1 and Y2, so it might be a little bit of a problem with schools. However we could commute them until they found us a place, but it would be stressful for little ones to do long term.
I think I agree that by far the best option would be to move into the town but the other problem would be to sell the house in time for Oct 2013...I guess as a last resort she can always move in with her dad for that year. Better go and look at rightmove then!!!
Move to the town. Rent a property there if needed, while trying to sell yours.
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now »
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.