Talk

Advanced search

Advice on doing a f/t degree

(5 Posts)
colette Wed 24-Sep-03 18:58:20

At age 39 and with a 4yr old dd and a 12 wk old ds I am sriously thinking of not going back to the p/t job in banking that I have really disliked for years. Instead I am considering studying dietetics- we haven't worked out how we may manage financially or childcarewise yet though! I am really just considering the possibility but it does feel good to think I may end up doing a job I would really enjoy.
Has anyone any advice about balancing life or financial tips re. studying f/time. Also I'd like to hear of any similar educational ventures- did you think it was worth it ?

marypoppins Wed 24-Sep-03 20:17:12

I think you'll set an excellent example to your children by studying for a job you may really enjoy. I'm in a similar position at the moment because I am planning to do an MA against my dh's wishes! My mum breastfed me in lectures, perhaps that's why I'm a keen student myself now...

Let us know how you get on.

colette Wed 24-Sep-03 20:34:23

Thanks Mp
I don't know if I'll be able to financialy but I am trying to find out as much as poss so that we can try and budget(both time and money)

Zoe Thu 25-Sep-03 13:29:43

I've just started a PGCE, which I get a Govt bursary for - that just about covers full time nursery costs for my ds. Because of my dh's salary, I get a means tested student loan of £3000. Apart from that, you get 25% reduction in your council tax, but Working Family Tax Credit count you as not working, so there's little help there.

HTH, just my experience

colette Thu 25-Sep-03 14:08:02

Thanks zoe
I am having 2nd thoughts(re. not seeing much off kids)but am trying to gather as much info as poss. Good Luck

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: