Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Anyone sold a mobile phone on ebay ?

(10 Posts)
Lilyloo Mon 09-Nov-09 20:08:28

DP wants to sell his phone.
It is worth quite abit and even though i am a regular seller and buyer i am wary of selling phones.
Are there many phone scams or am i being paranoid ?
If i do sell is there anything i need to know to protect myself beforehand.
TIA

thisisyesterday Mon 09-Nov-09 20:14:54

i have, a few times. never done anything differently tbh,just chucked them on there and sold them

Oblomov Mon 09-Nov-09 21:01:52

no, nothing to do. dh has sold quite a few of ours. every time we get an upgrade.
registered post or recorded mail as an option. offer first class aswell , so cheaper, but state that if they choose this you take no responsibility.

go for it.

we sold 2 for £90 each the other day.
and the time before that £110 for each.
is your dh's that kind of price or maybe int eh 100's - actually don't answer that, it prob doesn't make any difference.

say no zero bidders ? maybe ?

Knickers0nMaHead Mon 09-Nov-09 21:42:48

I sold a phone a year or so ago. When I sent it to the buyer, I decided to look at his feedback. No word of a lie, he had bought 20 of these phones within two weeks. I got an email the following day saying it didnt work. Told him to send it back so i could check the imei number and the security markings. He sent a phone back which was knackered. Casing broken etc. Checked some of the other listings n it was one of those. Emailed to let him know but never heard back. Btw, always send special deliuery. Dont let the buyer have the option of normal delivery.

ThisBoyDraculaDrew Mon 09-Nov-09 21:46:57

Don't sell abroad.

Small electricals - including mobiles are hot targets for fraud originating in Nigeria and other African countries.

We sell ours every upgrade - and as long as you sell UK only we haven't had a problem.

notcitrus Mon 09-Nov-09 21:48:40

Insist on special delivery or international signed-for/Airsure, and request international bidders to ask for postage costs before bidding - helps filter out most idiots. Note that Airsure doesn't even cover all EU countries - Italy and Ireland aren't in it. Was nervous when I sent a phone to Italy for about £70, but it was fine. I tend to offer to send to EU and USA/Canada and refuse elsewhere. Lots of Americans enjoying the strong dollar!

There's an option to rule out people with negative feedback but no idea how anyone gets that nowadays. I think you can put in the text that anyone with fb of less than a certain amount will have their bid cancelled but you;d have to check.

Oblomov Mon 09-Nov-09 22:03:02

UK only. agree.
Paypal = only option. doesn't cover you completely, but helps.

Lilyloo Tue 10-Nov-09 11:25:53

Thanks all
knickers that's what i am worried about , what is an imei number etc blush

Knickers0nMaHead Tue 10-Nov-09 15:12:54

The imei number is on the back of the phone under the battery. Every number is unique.

ADealingMummy Thu 12-Nov-09 14:51:33

I bought a sony ericsson on ebay last year , and it was absolutely fine.
My DH bought one a few months ago , and it was scratched to bits! He even accidently left good feedback , we raised a complaint through paypal and got a full refund!
Definitely pay for the phone through paypal.

Good luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now