Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can you really only sell on ebay if you have a landline???

(11 Posts)
stripeymama Sun 07-Sep-08 11:34:51

Anyone know a way round this? I have cable broadband as I can't afford a fixed phone line, so I have no landline.

MatNanPlus Sun 07-Sep-08 19:14:39

Email eBay and ask?

Imnotok Sun 07-Sep-08 19:17:52

I don't thinks so my sister has an ebay account and has one of those dongle things and no landline.

stripeymama Sun 07-Sep-08 19:27:24

Tried registering as a seller today and you are asked for a landline number that they can call you on to confirm your identity and address. Just seemed a bit ott, but after googling it appears there is no way round it for anyone registering now. Think if you are already registered as a seller it doesn't apply.

angry

Imnotok Sun 07-Sep-08 19:31:35

Could you get your mum or friend to let you put their number in and then ask them to tell you the number ?
I don't thin a human rings you I think they just send a confirmation number for you to put in the box iyswim?

stripeymama Sun 07-Sep-08 20:20:13

Aha! Yes that could work. Just wasn't sure how it worked and if they could check the address the landline is registered too iyswim.

Imnotok Sun 07-Sep-08 20:30:47

No I think it would work good luck anyway .

MatNanPlus Sun 07-Sep-08 21:15:58

hmm think they check to see if address and phone number are a match.

Easiest to email eBay and find out.

lilysmummy2007 Tue 09-Sep-08 07:24:09

as a poor student i signed up at my internet cafe and gave the phonebox outside as my landline, it worked but this was 4 years ago and forgot the details and have since gotten new account but had to put in my landline but i think there is a way you can use your debit card to do it, DP said thats how he did his

rosmerta Tue 09-Sep-08 08:08:27

I recently signed up as a seller & used dh's work number. All they did was ring through with a confirmation number, no checks or anything. I think you have to enter the confirmation number pretty quickly though so make sure if you're using someone else's phone they can contact you straight away.

sixlostmonkeys Tue 09-Sep-08 08:19:38

If you ever use a different computer for your ebaying you may find they will phone you on the landline number to check it is you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now