Talk

Advanced search

Measuring & Mailing Bags

(6 Posts)
ElasticFirecracker Tue 18-Dec-18 13:43:11

I'm selling mainly clothes and I find it really tiresome to have to measure the item to see what sort of Royal Mail size it is.

I thought if I bought some mailing bags that corresponded to Royal Mail parcel sizes, I could then easily tell what sort of parcel an item will be when listing, and then stick it in appropriate sized bag when posting.

Also I don't want to get to the PO and be told that if I had folded the item differently it would be a cheaper type of parcel.

Large Letter size L35.3cmW25cmD2.5cm
Small Parcel size L45cm W35cm D16cm
Medium Parcel size L61cm W46cm D46cm

I'm not sure what size mailing bag would work best for these sizes.

Am I overcomplicating this, what do other people do?

Thanks for help

isseywithcats Wed 19-Dec-18 18:08:27

i use one size bags 30x 40 and if the item is smaller i fold the bag down to fit the size and tape it

ElasticFirecracker Thu 20-Dec-18 14:12:03

@isseywithcats thank you for that, I'll go for that size.

ragged Thu 20-Dec-18 14:37:08

I just have excessive piles of old boxes & bags & try to get into the depth limits as below.
Large letter = max. 1 inch thick
small parcel max 16 cm thick
Larger items I send with MyHermes, anyway.

ElasticFirecracker Fri 21-Dec-18 07:53:57

@ragged thanks for that.

It's quite a few years since I did a massive eBay sale, and I realise the sizes for parcels have changed since then. It looks like most items will be 'small parcel' now.

SpringForEver Sat 02-Feb-19 15:06:35

Most of mine are small parcel or large letter if they are flimsy or very small.

I have a note of measurements and a ruler next to where I pack. Large letter ones I squeeze all the air out and flatten them. You can get a fairly large item in a box as a small parcel.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »