Advanced search

How do I work out if I can afford to privately rent if I leave DP?

(6 Posts)
Teapot55 Mon 13-Jan-20 22:15:44

I really want to leave DP. We've been together for 15 years but it's clear his weed habit takes priority over most other things. He's rude and abusive and tight with money. He says I'm cold and uncaring but that's because after years of this I know there's no point trying anymore. Plus I hate him for the way he speaks to me especially in front of the children.

Anyway we jointly own our house and he pays the mortgage. Most of the deposit was put in by me and my brother so about £27k tied up in the house. With our previous house I had a 'declaration of interest' document done by the solicitor to protect my deposit in case we split up but unfortunately I didn't get it done again for our current house - DP was annoyed about it the first time so I couldn't face the hassle tbh.

My question really is: if I leave, am I hardly going to be able to claim anything because of jointly owning the house? I did a calculation on and it asks about the value of the house - do I put in half the amount of equity or all of it? Either way I think I'm stuffed.

Also I don't earn much (self-employed, part-time) so with renting would the fact I own a property help? In a guarantor kind of way, ie. if I fell behind with rent they could take recovery action against my house?

There are so many unknowns and I can't just leave with no plan but I definitely do need to leave. He's emotionally abusive and I can't have the little one growing up and having to go through everything the older one did.

Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
Otter71 Mon 13-Jan-20 22:24:17

When I moved into rented they said owning a place means you don't need a landlord ref cos they get a bank one. Not sure what they do for an employer ref if self employed though. Also they had ratios of how much of income you could afford to pay rent. So maybe ask a letting agent about what they would need?

SeagullOnTheWind Mon 13-Jan-20 22:29:18

CAB would definitely be able to advise you. Also if you contacted women's aid they would be able to help you work this out and time somewhere, and get away.

Teapot55 Mon 13-Jan-20 23:07:43

Thanks. I'll do that. I'm also about £6k in debt on credit cards which is going to make things more difficult.

OP’s posts: |
NorthernGlam Tue 14-Jan-20 08:18:17

It was a few years ago but my friend got tax credits and housing benefit (or whatever it’s called now) in same situation but she had to show the house was on the market with estate agent and was only entitled to help with rent for the period until it was sold and the finances agreed. As her ex messed her around and put off buyers this was actually quite a long time.

Takeoutyourhen Tue 14-Jan-20 20:43:14

I’ve done my own research as I had the same question.
You jointly own property so you will have capital which exceeds the cut off limit of £16k to become eligible for Universal Credit.
If you have proof that you are actively trying to sell the property I believe you can get 6 months, no more of UC. I rang the helpline by the way as I couldn’t seem to see any firm yes or no answers online.
In terms of renting in the future your mortgage is still credit.
Hope that helps and good luck.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in