Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone have experience of just wanting to get divorced (2 years separated). We don't want to split any finances or properties and have no children together.

(4 Posts)
Blosom8 Tue 03-Jan-17 19:15:56

Is it possible to literally just get divorced? We've not lived together properly for 5 years, we've been separated 2 years. We have our own houses, no shared finances and no children together. We're still friends. Is it possible to get divorced with no legal intervention?

Hermonie2016 Wed 04-Jan-17 12:30:41

By legal intervention, do you mean solicitors?

You can download divorce petition from website and complete yourself but it's of course easier to get a solicitor to deal with it for you.

The cost is I think £550 for court fees and solicitors will charge a few hundred extra to complete.What is important is that you each draw a line under finances so that there is a clean break..Example used is if, you win the lottery and your ex decides he was financially dependant on you.Unlikely I know but solicitors see so many cases where the "unlikely" happens they ensure all doors shut.

Blosom8 Wed 04-Jan-17 13:11:09

Thanks for your reply. That's helpful. I'll investigate ensuring a line is drawn under finances.

WiseUpJanetWeiss Wed 04-Jan-17 17:30:20

Have a look at the Wikivorce website. You can use one of their solicitors at a very low cost to get the divorce and consent order done.

I used them, and my ex just signed the papers without using a solicitor.

They were fine but slow. I think the whole thing including the court fees (you have to pay this anyway) was less than £800.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now