Advanced search

How to find a solicitor

(8 Posts)
WonkyCastle Wed 18-May-16 11:00:19

I am in the process of splitting up with H.

He has agreed we should split, but wants to delay for a while, for a number of reasons (main one, we are currently mid-major renovation of our house, so it is unsellable for at least 6 months or so, probably longer). I don't want to wait that long - we don't get on well, the children are being affected, but it is difficult to see a way out unless he agrees to move out (don't think he will agree).

I saw CAB yesterday, to go over basic stuff, and they have given me a list of solicitors. How do I choose one?

We have a complicated situation. We have 3 dc, all disabled. Eldest is severely disabled, and will never live independently. While I have no interest whatsoever in taking H to the cleaners, it is undeniable that after we split he will be in a position to carry on as before, in high earning job, while I will have no chance of working due to childcare/carer needs. The dc, given their ages and needs, will be at 3 different schools, so even the school run is not straightforward, and will make working virtually impossible. I do,mtherefore, need to ensure that the dc's futures are well taken care of.

So, I have a husband who will probably not agree to moving out, a house that is more of a liability than an asset currently, and a dodgy financial future (everything in H's name, he has been quite controlling over money throughout our relationship). I am keen to find an efficient solicitor, to say the least.

OP’s posts: |
MrsBertBibby Wed 18-May-16 11:18:15

Ask around for personal recommendations if you can.

Look on the Resolution website for local solicitors who are accredited, preferably in financial remedies.

Look on the Law Society Find a Solicitor site for solicitors who have done their panel accreditation.

Try to get possibles on the phone, if you don't gel, keep looking. Not everyone will talk to potential new clients, but I certainly try to. Nothing worse than being saddled with a client who doesn't trust you, but feels stuck with you.

WonkyCastle Wed 18-May-16 15:11:36

Thank you.

There isn't anyone I could ask for personal recommendations, I don't think.

That gives me a good structure to start from. I'd far rather we could sort it all amicably without the need for solicitors, but that is unlikely, and best to get it all set out.

OP’s posts: |
babybarrister Thu 19-May-16 15:45:47

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

iMatter Thu 19-May-16 15:57:16

Yes, agree with checking the Resolution website.

AmberGreyson Fri 20-May-16 09:06:40

I advise you to look for solicitor here . I am sure you he will help you in your tough situation. I was in your shoes. Divorce is really unpleasant process. Be strong!

AmberGreyson Fri 20-May-16 09:07:16

u can find also a lot of helpful articles, good luck!

MrsBertBibby Fri 20-May-16 09:28:59

I wouldn't have much faith in that site for finding a solicitor, I just searched my area and came up with a list of the worst lot around, and none of the ones I know to be good.

I assume firms pay to be on there, and that's it.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in