Advanced search

how to leave (benefits)

(7 Posts)
Patchouli Sat 30-Mar-13 14:18:57

I have 2 DCs (one not yet 1) and I only work 15 hours a week so only earn about £450-£500 a month.
I'm assuming I might be entitled to some housing benefit, but don't know how to go about it. Do I find a little place, then apply? - but then what if I don't get it?
When I fill in the benefits calculator thingies online to find out, they ask about tax credits etc but I don't actually know until I tell them change of circumstances.
It looks like it might be good for me to ask for another hour a week at work to put me to 16 hours.

Where to start?

Numbthumbs Sat 30-Mar-13 16:28:55

I am on here wondering exactly the same thing. My DCs are both under 2 and i want to leave but need to know what financial help i can get before i do.

If you go onto the job centre website there is a benefits advisor section that you can fill in that tells you what you can expect to be able to claim and once you have filled it in there is a 'what if' option where you can go back and edit what you have input - so you could do it working 15 and 16 hours and see what difference it makes?? Im finding it difficult to work out what to input for households income as 'p' wont be part of my household naymore.

Im going to book an appointment with a real life benefits advisor after the bank holiday, apparently they have a lone parents specialist at most job centres. That could be helpful to you also?

Milly22 Sun 31-Mar-13 00:23:56

Done this, right first phone the HMRC and explain your situation and they can give you a rough calculation over the phone and will send you forms to fill in. I'm still living in the matrimonial home but as we've both got solicitors and in the process of divorce I can make a single claim (says on the form). Call your housing dept. with the council and explain circumstances and they will also send forms. I'm moving out with the children to rent while nearly ExH stays and pays the mortgage until youngest is 18. House stays in both names so it's classed as an asset/property but because a 'parent' who has shared custody uses it as a home for the children it's dismissed as an asset. You'll also get 25% reduction in your council tax and remember your child benefit on top of all that as well, it is possible. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Having worked all my life without claiming any benefit other than child benefit it's all very strange but I do think after all these years of paying into the system and having come to a stage in my life where I need help as a single mum who works full time. Have a look at a website 'my entitlements' which could also help.

Patchouli Wed 03-Apr-13 14:39:38

Thanks a lot. Really helpful.
Interesting about property being dismissed as an asset re the mortgage.

I'm going to get an appointment with the housing advisor at the council this week then, if pos,

Good luck to both of you too.

Patchouli Wed 03-Apr-13 14:40:38

And maybe I should check out advice at the jobcentre too then.

Milly22 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:09:51

Citizens advice bureau another good one, go on their website and e-mail them explaining your situation and they'll call you in a couple of days with loads of advice and lovely and understanding people, they recommended a website turn2us. Good Luck

Milly22 Wed 03-Apr-13 15:13:32

Sorry, forgot, you should be able to download a Housing benefits claim form on line from you council website. There is a section on there that needs to be filled in by your employer and if you're renting by the estate agent so it'll be worth doing this first and taking your form in already completed. Stops them dragging their feet, I think they backdate claims for a month anyway, double check.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: