Advanced search

CSA and informal arrangement

(42 Posts)
rodders667 Sun 13-Jan-13 16:23:27

hello. I've been separated from my ex for two and a half years, and divorced for a year and a half. during that time we have made informal arrangements regarding maintenance payments. The figures have been based on the csa calculations and have been paid on time with no problems.

now my ex has decided she would rather use the CSA. The CSA have been in touch and are sendin me paperwork.

I have no real issue with any of this, but should I continue making informal payments whilst the CSA sort everything out, or could I end up paying twice if I don't stop payments?

InNeatCognac Mon 14-Jan-13 10:27:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

allnewtaketwo Mon 14-Jan-13 10:27:42

"If you stop payments for a while, how will your ex make up that gap in her income, even in the short term"

Well she is an adult with choices though. She has exercise her choice to go to a government agency to formalise payments she was reliably and regularly receiving. Fine. But every choice has repercussions. She wanted to protect herself - fine, but the OP also needs to protect himself. The impact of that (sensible) choice is that the ex will temporarily have a cashflow shortfall.

Collaborate Mon 14-Jan-13 10:34:40

Please ignore those telling you to stop paying for now. They are wrong. Provided you're paying by direct bank transfer they will accept a bank statement as evidence of payment. You won't have to pay twice.

ThingummyBob Mon 14-Jan-13 10:36:20

OP, I would definitely advise you to stop any informal payments from the date of the CSA claim start.

I receive maintenance through CSA (my first ex is a refuser hmm) and at no point did anyone ask me if he had made any payments informally (he hadn't)

I have a friend who received payment twice when her ex's new partner insisted on him using CSA, luckily for him she paid him back all of the 'paid twice' bits. No one was going to make her do that though iyswm?

Try and keep it nice though and let her know what you are doing and why. If she has instigated using them she will have to bite the bullett and wait for the first lot to come from CSA I guess. I tend to agree that the CSA is an already overstretched service and wouldn't dream of approaching them unless necessary. My second Ex blush and I have a private agreement and I can't see any reason why we would need to change as we are on friendly terms.

EMS23 Mon 14-Jan-13 10:41:42

Bloody hell, I didn't realise they could make you pay twice even if you can evidence having made payments bank to bank!!

allnewtaketwo Mon 14-Jan-13 10:42:45

"considering he pays you next to nothing for child support"

Where did that assertion come from? confused Clearly I have no idea of his salary. Say he's on £30k. He gets max 25% deduction for the other children, so his monthly maintenance payment would be circa £307pm. Hardly next to nothing. And don't forget the tax credits the OP receives will disregard this payment, so will be generous.

allnewtaketwo Mon 14-Jan-13 10:43:34

Sorry posted on wrong thread blush

OwlLady Mon 14-Jan-13 10:43:36

Can you not ring the CSA and ask if you can make payments to them, for the same amount you do normally, with immediate effect?

rodders667 Mon 14-Jan-13 10:48:04

OwlLady, I'm not sure I'll be able to do that as the DWP haven't got me as a 'client' as yet.

Again, I don't want to create any shortfall in my ex wife's income, the well being of my son is my absolute priority, but I can't afford to pay double.

I think I'll be best to wait until the DWP contact me again and ask them their advice?

allnewtaketwo Mon 14-Jan-13 10:49:54

OP don't expect them to give you a reliable answer though. The answers given often vary from call to call, and them telling you something now doesn't mean they won't go back on their word and sting you anyway

Mrcrumpswife Mon 14-Jan-13 10:50:53

If you ask for their advice then make sure you ask for confirmation in writing of what you have discussed. I can all but guarentee they will refuse to put it in writing as thats not what they do!! At least it will show you how they will change the rules as they process your claim and the possibility of you being billed twice.

Mrcrumpswife Mon 14-Jan-13 10:52:46

allnewtaketwo you have obviously been stung in exactly the same way as us!

OwlLady Mon 14-Jan-13 10:52:56

I agree whatever you agree with them you need to take names and follow up with paperwork. If you are unhappy with the response you get when you ring up then ask to speak to someone else or ring back and get someone else. Do ring them and try and sort it though. I can't see why you cannot pay them direct with immediate effect but this is the csa

izzyishappilybusy Mon 14-Jan-13 12:15:18

My dealings with the CSA tell me they are useless - never give same advice twice.

I wouldn't pay a peany informally once they got involved.

CabbageLeaves Mon 14-Jan-13 18:32:57

I agree with all those who says this is time wasting and could be seen as agravating unless you're not telling us something else. FWIW I believe your posts.

I think the suggestion of using CSA may have come from mortgage situation.

I am forced to use them (or get zilch) and find they are inefficient and hold the money back....not interested in chasing anything and it must cost a fortune to administer

HerRoyalNotness Mon 14-Jan-13 18:50:34

Perhaps she thinks you have more income than you do.

Won't she lose a % of the maintenance to the CSA with the new charges? Not sure how all that works, or when it starts. Also there is talk of the maintenance being calculated on GROSS income, but the % may be less.

Give her a call, she may have the incorrect info about a lot of things that will make her nervous. I remember when we moved, DHs xW called the CSA even though we happily had a private arrangement with her. Her reason? Even thought we'd never given her any reason to believe so, she thought we'd stop paying confused. It was sorted amicably with a phone call between the x-spouses.

ItsallisnowaFeegle Thu 14-Mar-13 04:08:29

OP, if I were in your position, I'd speak with EXP telling her that for now, you will be saving your regular payment until CSA have come through with a formal agreement/ amount. When this is settled, and if they haven't already taken that amount, you will, of course pay it as 'back payment'.

There is nothing wrong in protecting yourself short-term.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: