We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.



Advanced search

Housing rights

(9 Posts)
JT1977 Fri 14-Oct-16 13:53:09

Hi, my partner and I have been together for 5 years. I have been living in our home with her which she legally owns for the past 4 years.
I gave up work 3 1/2 years ago to become a stay home dad and take care of our 6 month old son.
Now she wants me to leave, do I have any rights to stay in the home given I do not own the property?
As I have been the home maker for almost 4 years I have nothing if she makes me leave.

Thank you

JT1977 Fri 14-Oct-16 13:54:00

Sorry should have said we are not married

HeCantBeSerious Fri 14-Oct-16 13:54:19

Probably not. Sorry.

Akire Fri 14-Oct-16 13:55:57

No as not married but would expect some arraignment to pay deposits for rent if you have not been working or time to get a job and save up a deposit.

Unlockable Fri 14-Oct-16 13:56:06

I wouldn't have thought so. Many women find themselves in the same situation after a break up. It's why it's not advisable to give up work, be unmarried and be dependent on your partner. If it was her house before hand why do you think she should give you money?
What are the plans for childcare now?

NerrSnerr Fri 14-Oct-16 13:58:45

I really don't think so, sorry. You have put yourself in a really vulnerable position giving up work when you're not married and don't own the house.

Penfold007 Fri 14-Oct-16 14:02:33

You need specialist advice on this and quickly. As the primary carer you may need to stay put for now as you and your child have rights. Has this break up coincided with your child starting reception and changes in child care requirements?

JT1977 Fri 14-Oct-16 14:04:42

Yeah as I suspected, oh well, thanks for the replies

AllPowerfulLizardPerson Fri 14-Oct-16 14:08:27

Probably not, though you could seek a specific order, on the grounds that it is your DC's home and you are primary carer.

But can you actually afford to run the house?

It might be better to see if you can get back any money you've put into the house (what have you paid for?) and make a fresh start.

Is your DC now in school or is there another year to go?

If DC is resident with you for more than half the week, you should receive child maintenance. But I suspect this is time to start dusting off your CV.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now