Talk

Advanced search

What did you all really think to Hamilton?

(86 Posts)
EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 11:56:44

Does it live up to its hype?

I saw it last night and it was lovely to see so many young in the audience. Its fab but im not convinced its the best think ive ever seen. The production was incredible and slick but it just went on a wee bit too long for me 😟. I understand im the only person in the world that feels like this😃

bionicnemonic Thu 20-Dec-18 12:04:37

I went with my son (I'd heard the soundtrack a few times) I LOVED it - I want to go again! I found it interesting from an historical viewpoint too. King George was perfect!

Branleuse Thu 20-Dec-18 12:07:48

I LOVE IT. Ive seen it 3 times and im now desperate to see the new cast.

Pashazade Thu 20-Dec-18 12:10:26

Haven't seen Hamilton but felt the same about Wicked. So hyped and many friends who think it is incredible but whilst good the sound balance was off and it just didn't carry me along. Although I do think the music is amazing. But not one I will ever see again. Matilda on the other hand was utterly amazing! 😉

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 13:07:58

Im not sure if it was the new cast . I can imagine seeing it in New York would be an entirely different experience.

ClosestThingToCrazy Thu 20-Dec-18 13:13:14

It's not for me. It was too long, not mixed brilliantly so it was hard to heard the words so following the story wasn't easy. He's an unlikable character and I didn't care about him. The person I went with agreed with me. I think, unless you've listened to the cast recording a few times, 3 hours of rap is too much to try and concentrate on. I've seen other rap musicals that have been a lot more effective because they've been shorter.

I really wanted to love it, but I just couldn't. I was much more excited about Fun Home and Company.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 20-Dec-18 13:16:20

It was very good but there was one actress who I thought was not great and for the hype I thought it would have been all great.

Saw it done by a MT college and it was spoiled for me because the girl who played the same role was much better.

opinionatedfreak Thu 20-Dec-18 13:16:21

I hated it.

Way too "Try-hard".

Highlights of this year for me have been Matthew Bourne Swan Lake & Old Vic Christmas Carol.

Loved latter so much in dec 2017 we booked tickets for 2018 in March.

Inheritance also good.

opinionatedfreak Thu 20-Dec-18 13:17:22

Oh. I forgot about Fun Home. It was great. I was surprised it didn't get a West End transfer.

Theperfectchangeling Thu 20-Dec-18 13:19:47

It bored me OP. You are not the only one! It just seemed to drone on and on after a while, I have never got the hype tbh.

Theperfectchangeling Thu 20-Dec-18 13:21:54

I have clearly found my people. When you admit you didn’t rate Hamilton, most people react as if you have just drowned a bag of kittens... grin

onemouseplace Thu 20-Dec-18 13:26:55

I enjoyed it, but didn’t think it was the best musical I have ever seen. I saw the original casting and thought the female leads were notably weaker than the male ones.

thestringcheesemassacre Thu 20-Dec-18 13:28:40

I loved it. Loved the balance between rap and musical, the energy and all the lyrics were so clever. Going again soon.

MuttleyLaugh Thu 20-Dec-18 13:32:40

Totally smitten by most of it, but found the ending a bit over-sentimental. That hasn’t stopped me listening to my favourite bits of the soundtrack on repeat for the past month though! I think George Washington in the London cast outclassed the singer in the original cast.

RiverTam Thu 20-Dec-18 13:32:44

I'm not a prolific theatre goer (though have unexpectedly been quite a bit this year) and I've never been to a musical, but I enjoyed it a lot.

And the audience was more racially diverse than any other play I've been, by a country mile.

henhelppls Thu 20-Dec-18 13:40:40

I enjoyed it v much. I saw Ash Hunter as Hamilton and he was incredible. Burr and Angelica both awesome too. Didn't think as much of Eliza tbh.

Hellozzz Thu 20-Dec-18 13:43:45

Loved, loved in.
A wonderful production, very slick, high energy and excellent performances from the actors.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 20-Dec-18 14:08:18

Hehelppls you noticed as well

NotCitrus Thu 20-Dec-18 14:12:28

Really enjoyed it, excellent lyrics, and a good few memorable numbers, but not the greatest staging and I feel no need to see it again.

Fun Home was brilliant, very moving, but I suppose also easier to relate to. And I do get more out of a show when I'm up close.

Lostmyunicorn Thu 20-Dec-18 14:13:47

I wasn’t expecting to like it that much but I really loved it. Didn’t like Eliza though, she sounded very Disney princessy to me which didn’t seem right for the role at all.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 20-Dec-18 14:15:10

The thing is going to the theatre is so expensive that when I go I expect (given all the 1000s of MT/drama students coming out of colleges every year) actors who can act and singers who can sing.

Saw a Broadway show a couple of years ago.

Mainish character who was supposed to be a flamboyant comedic character. Appeared to have learned the script but that was as far as his acting ability went.
The US has more actors singers and dancers yet couldn’t find a single person who could play this role better

Nissemand Thu 20-Dec-18 14:24:23

In the main I loved it.

Eliza was weak though.

The actress reminded me of Lea Salonga.

Everyone else was amazing.

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 14:48:48

Ibabsolutely hated those jodhpurs too. They really showed too much.

CoatTails Thu 20-Dec-18 17:56:00

I preferred Jamie!

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 18:12:20

My friend said the same thing!

PhannyMcNee Thu 20-Dec-18 18:44:24

I have similar feelings about The Lion King. Looked at Hamilton tickets but couldn’t justify it

KittyClaus Thu 20-Dec-18 18:47:20

I liked it but I didn’t come out of it blown away. I saw Heathers The Musical in its recent West End run and that left me giddy. Loved it so much, probably the best musical I’ve ever seen.

AwkwardAsAllGetout Thu 20-Dec-18 18:49:59

I really enjoyed it but found the theatre was unbearably hot. Never had that problem in the theatre before, but the second half was so uncomfortable as I was sweating buckets and I’m normally a notoriously cold person! People around us were desperately fanning themselves too so it wasn’t just me

CandyMelts Thu 20-Dec-18 18:55:08

Oh I loved it, been listening to the soundtrack since. Did get a little confused in 2nd half and Burr not as good as recordings I'd heard, but it was fab.

GeorgeBailey2 Thu 20-Dec-18 18:59:24

LOVED IT hated Wicked though and slept through most of it (so did modtvouf row)

Beach11 Thu 20-Dec-18 19:02:26

I enjoyed it but I think it’s because it’s so different. I wouldn’t go back to see it or make recommendations for people to see it as it’s such a required taste.

Would like to see Jamie

AlbertWinestein Thu 20-Dec-18 19:02:43

I love it and have seen it 3 times, but all on Broadway. I got to see Lin-Manuel in the title role and he blew me away. I’ve always wondered how it translates to the London stage.

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 19:18:40

Not as well I bet. I spent all the show wishing I’d seen it off Broadway when I was there on holiday.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 20-Dec-18 19:24:12

I’ve heard bits and it sounds a bit too cheesy for me. He’s now on R4 showcasing his cocker-nee accent from Mary Poppins that is askin to Dick Van Dykes!

He was funny on Curb your Enthusiasm - it took a while to click that he was the real Hamilton guy!

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:30:22

I loves Hamilton

Know it word for word

However I felt this way about Matilda

Finally saw it this year.

Massive let down

Even now looking back it only has 1 good song/set piece

And those sections in the library drag on and are boring as fuck

One of my favourite books as a child too

The person I went with was disappointed as well. Impressive from the children - the scale of performance they put on, but that's about all to commend it

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:34:33

I think you know if US Politics particularly historical US Politics ain't your bag you are never going to love Hamilton

The references and in jokes he's managed to get in there too, from copying the parameter styles of a whole variety of rappers to give individuals a "tone" to copious West Wing references, it is so clever, but only if you also know the references otherwise you'd just be like hmm

PawneeParksDept Thu 20-Dec-18 19:35:19

Everybody's Talking About Jamie was fab

Babayaggatheboneylegged Thu 20-Dec-18 19:46:20

I’m really not into musicals, but had to go to Hamilton last week. It was a client entertaining thing, so I didn’t pay for the tickets. Thankfully.

Because of the hype, I wondered if it would be so amazing, it would be the musical that changed my mind about musicals.

Alas, no. It was SO FRIGGING LONG.

And all the whoops of theatrical (hur-hur) laughter from the audience whenever the king came onstage really got on my tits, because he REALLY wasn’t that funny!

It could’ve been half as long and i’d’ve been more than happy.

Mymycherrypie Thu 20-Dec-18 19:50:41

opinionatedfreak agreed, try hard is the perfect way to describe it.

I saw a grass roots urban Shakespeare group do some seriously amazing rapping once. This felt really contrived in comparison and I felt uncomfortable having BME performers singing songs written by a Latino man, performing for a white majority audience.

That said, some were really good songs and I liked the RATM style song by George washington!

EachandEveryone Thu 20-Dec-18 20:03:21

All I could think about was a Larry David falling asleep during it in Curb your Enthusiasm

AlbertWinestein Thu 20-Dec-18 20:10:04

A Latino man who grew up on the edge of Washington heights, to be fair. I think describing Hamilton as try hard is pushing it a bit!

Mymycherrypie Thu 20-Dec-18 20:13:48

Ok. Inauthentic then. Made palatable for a white audience.

AlbertWinestein Fri 21-Dec-18 05:48:21

Inauthentic?! Ok, this is like the most pretentious thread I’ve read in a while. For a start, you’re completely disregarding what Hamilton is about, the city it originated in and the fact that the diversity of the cast is half the reason it exists. If that doesn’t translate across the ocean, that’s just bad casting.

Rap has been talking to a white audience for decades. Im in my mid 40s, grew up in rural England and can still happily sit and talk about every single rap reference in the musical as that’s the stuff we grew up on!

Branleuse Fri 21-Dec-18 07:57:16

@albertwinestein i totally agree.

Theperfectchangeling Fri 21-Dec-18 10:35:13

“Inauthentic?! Ok, this is like the most pretentious thread I’ve read in a while. For a start, you’re completely disregarding what Hamilton is about, the city it originated in and the fact that the diversity of the cast is half the reason it exists. If that doesn’t translate across the ocean, that’s just bad casting. ”

hmm see my earlier post, re; drowned kittens!

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Dec-18 22:24:35

Lin-Manuel Is on Graham Norton tonight.

SarahBeeney Fri 21-Dec-18 22:30:41

You would have seen the new cast as they changed about 3 weeks ago.

I enjoyed it but my DP wasn't blown away.

It was very slick and I find it interesting musically (I'm a musician).

I liked the fact that it wasn't cheesy nor did it have loads of set changes or special effects.

Mymycherrypie Fri 21-Dec-18 22:37:04

* Im in my mid 40s, grew up in rural England and can still happily sit and talk about every single rap reference in the musical as that’s the stuff we grew up on!*

That’s partly what I mean. It sounded old already. Very early 2000’s. Eminem, TLC, Rage Against the Machine... Authentic urban music isn’t like that now and especially not in performing arts. You are precisely the audience this musical is targeted at. People only think it’s a refreshing change from other musicals because they haven’t seen anything like this but it does exist, it’s just not as hyped up and you have to seek it out. How many young black men and women were in the audience I wonder? Mostly white people in their 30’s-50’s. Why? Because it’s not authentic, new or particularly engaging.

EachandEveryone Fri 21-Dec-18 22:45:44

No there were manny, many teens there we were shocked. Really posh teens my nieces would never beable to go at £75 a pop. And yes 90% white but thars always the case in the west end. I dont know the answer to that.

dellacucina Fri 21-Dec-18 23:05:22

I thought it was very ambitious and laudable for that, not unassailably amazing in all ways.

Branleuse Fri 21-Dec-18 23:57:31

I think all you haters just need to listen to the soundtrack again

GoodHeavensNoImAChicken Sat 22-Dec-18 00:05:41

Big musicals fan here. Didn’t get it at all. Waste of £60 imo

AlbertWinestein Sat 22-Dec-18 05:31:00

As far as I’m aware, there isn’t one Enimem reference in the entirety of Hamilton. Notorious BIG, yes.

Anyway, the reality is we’re coming from polar opposite versions of one musical. I’m a public (ie state) school teacher in NY and think it celebrates diversity and gives kids in my school district sowmthing to aspire to. You think it’s wanky West End bollocks. We may both be right!

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 10:30:01

I just think its too long and i also think it must be a completely different experience on Broadway. People keep going on about the majority of the audience being white middle class can i ask you on broadway whats it like? And is it $100 plus to go and see it?

Branleuse Sat 22-Dec-18 10:56:32

I can see why youd think it was too long if you just went and saw it without any prior knowledge, or interest in the history or the concept,
I saw it blind the first time, and I thought it was quite good, but I wish id listened to it a bit more first, because the second time, when i knew more of the songs, I loved it so much by then

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 11:45:05

Ive got the soundtrack and had it before and tbh I only ever listened to 3/4 as either I was busy or just found it too long. It’s on now and I’ve bought it for my mother for Xmas. It’s not the soundtrack per se it’s just the hype that made me feel abit let down. And it was bloody boiling in there.

Tumon Sat 22-Dec-18 11:53:58

Really really did not enjoy this. So dissapointed !!

TheKitchenWitch Sat 22-Dec-18 12:05:08

Everyone was raving about it, saying I must listen to the soundtrack and then I’d get the hype and want to see it....so I did and Jesus weit what a load of total shite. Who the fuck wants to listen to 3 hours of bad rap? Just Beijing awful, really cringeworthy and embarrassing.
But I realise I’m in a teeny tiny minority.

MrsFezziwig Sat 22-Dec-18 12:13:31

I expected to hate it but loved it. Obviously my opinion doesn’t count though (old middle-class theatregoer).

Why would it be a different experience on Broadway?

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 12:40:03

Bigger production, in its home town, familiar recognisable cast, enthusiastic audience. Im just guessing.

PeridotCricket Sat 22-Dec-18 12:43:55

I found it tedious overhyped and dull. Amazing cast. Duff libretto. Friends who are v cultured and in their 60s loved it and compared it to opera at its best. Horses for courses.

Triskaidekaphilia Sat 22-Dec-18 13:01:47

I've watched a recording of the original cast and listened to the soundtrack over and over, and now I feel like any other cast won't live up to it. Not because the actors won't be good but you get used to particular voices and mannerisms. Same with Legally Blonde.

PawneeParksDept Sat 22-Dec-18 13:07:04

Some people seem to lack some basics here

The reason for the very strict ticketing rules in the UK was due to the way in which the Broadway ticket system was manipulated and tickets being resold for as much as $10,000 a pop such was the level of popularity

During my performance there were LOTS of Americans who had flown to London to see it because it was cheaper to do so.

It's never going to have the same cultural impact here - due to Hamilton being basically an unknown figure in the UK though he was also uncelebrated in the US before this.

The racially diverse casting is also a bigger deal there as the US has the double legacy of slavery, and segregation whereas the impact of slavery was less great here and we never had segregation

Chris Jackson, a black man, played Washington a man who owned slaves.

Similarly for Daveed Diggs who played Jefferson

Now their lives are being told through black men accompanied by black music

These actors, from the top down are household names now in the US but were little known outside of Broadway.

We're a different country, it's not the same show here.

I had a bit of a chuckle about LMMs worries over his portrayal of King George III

It's like dude, a whole other playwright who was British already wrote a play literally saying he was insane - no one cares.

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 13:27:54

Thanks youve just clarified what i thought about it being a better show over there.

PawneeParksDept Sat 22-Dec-18 13:32:55

I do think it's a crying shame that as someone rightly pointed out the audiences have been predominantly white and middle class, unfortunately those audiences that would most benefit from experiencing Hamilton (in terms of that story being told that way) have been priced out particularly in the US but even in the UK

JassyRadlett Sat 22-Dec-18 13:53:29

Thanks youve just clarified what i thought about it being a better show over there.

Same show, massively different context.

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 15:12:38

Come on now, it doesn’t matter what show it is live theatre has always been out of reach for ordinary families and people in general. It’s not a race thing. I only go when I either get cheap tickets and sit in the gods (anyone can access them) or Ive saved to get myself a good seat. I went to Hamilton as someone treated me. I’m white working class and broke

PawneeParksDept Sat 22-Dec-18 15:23:01

Though I too am poor and white it's a fact that BAME actors/roles are underrepresented in theatre and that Hamilton is doing something different

I was thinking again more in terms of America where the story is about a young man who arrived from the Caribbean with nothing; but the several thousand dollar price tag tickets exclude anyone not in the elite and as everyone is aware, the wealthiest Americans are majority white which is ironic given the point of diversity in Hamilton I suppose

I apologise if this thought is poorly expressed

EachandEveryone Sat 22-Dec-18 15:31:06

You can only hope that they do school trips to the theatre or have special showings, they might do.

MrsFezziwig Sat 22-Dec-18 15:43:28

Members of the company went to do some outreach work at my niece’s school and they were allocated some tickets, so she went for free!

Also they have the lottery on the app so potentially you could get a ticket for £10. If I lived in London I’d apply every night I was free until I got one!

missmouse101 Sat 22-Dec-18 15:46:12

Tickets were £200 each when I looked! No way could I afford that.

greenlanes Sat 22-Dec-18 15:53:03

Just popping on to add to the conversation about London theatre and the audience being mostly middle age, white and middle class. First thing to remember is that London has a lot of overseas visitors so many of the people you see at the theatre are not from the UK. So terms like middle class are snobby words being thrown around. It also totally depends where you sit. When I go with friends and it is a production we desperately want to see we pay for good seats in the stalls - that is more likely to be older people and white. If I go to see something on my own and I am unsure if I really want to see it I pay for cheap seats in the gods. Beyond a different experience - many many more young people, lots of languages, very mixed. Interesting behaviours too but we wont discuss that here. But what is lovely is how difficult it can be to get seats - so the London theatres are full. Went to see matthew Bourne in Liverpool this year - cheap seats as I had already seen it in London - the theatre was so empty. That made me very sad as the company was touring to avoid the "only" London label.

I went to Broadway earlier this year and didnt find the audience particularly mixed, apart from Whoopie Goldberg who got clapped and cheered. Poor love - we mostly ignore celebrities here who are in the audience.

PawneeParksDept Sat 22-Dec-18 16:32:59

Liverpool is ALWAYS packed out for a big musical like say Lion King or Wicked. I suppose things that are sure fire returns in terms of "Will I like this?"

I've also been to operas there well attended

But I guess the crowd that automatically goes to Grease and the crowd that automatically goes to Matthew Bourne don't necessarily intersect unless you're like me and love the theatre and go to anything

ethelredonagoodday Sat 22-Dec-18 18:02:34

Really interested to read this. Big theatre fan, but not made it to Hamilton yet!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 22-Dec-18 18:13:58

It wasn’t for me, was looking forward to it but left feeling a bit meh. Saw The Band a few weeks later and preferred it.

PawneeParksDept Sun 23-Dec-18 22:26:21

For those on the thread who are fans of the show I feel Duty Bound to draw to your attention the latest Hamildrop

Hamildrops for those not in the know, are in the main various different artists performing versions of the shows songs much like in the Mixtape

This months Hamildrop is a bit special

It's One Last Time performed by Chris Jackson and Bebe Winans only Washington's final words concluding his Presidency are read by Barack Obama <gulp> poignant

https://youtu.be/wFEL_0UFgIs

EachandEveryone Mon 31-Dec-18 10:41:16

I bought my mum it for Christmas and she loves it. One of the benefits of not down loading is that you get s book and all the words! Sadly, her and her do will never beable to afford to go to London to see it. Lots of people miss out on the theatre experience.

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Sun 06-Jan-19 13:57:38

For those who saw it how much did you pay - if you don't mind me asking. I've seen tickets for £100. --Which is a bargain compared to £200--hmm

PawneeParksDept Sun 06-Jan-19 17:32:52

@LloydColeandtheCoconuts

I'd like to help but I booked WELL before release and so 18 monthsish later I really can't remember, I think it was around £200 total though, for two.

MrsFezziwig Sun 06-Jan-19 20:47:37

We booked several months in advance (near the front of the Circle so decent seats) and they were about £100 each.

Branleuse Mon 07-Jan-19 15:03:57

when i took my eldest for his birthday last year, tickets were £100 each.

I took my dd after winning the lottery and got front row seats for a token £10 each

I took my other ds and we got seats for £37 and £57

All were good seats tbh, although I think id rather get the £57 ones again over the £100 as we got better leg room and not as crowded in the RC slip box, which more than made up for the very slightly obstructed view

bruffin Mon 07-Jan-19 15:10:25

Everybody's Talking About Jamie was fab
Dd and really didnt like Jamie, lacklustre and boring songs and very poor production values. We go to the theatre a lot ie every few weeks and it was the least enjoyable weve seen in West End.

Adored Hamilton saw it opening week and really want to see it again. Dc have sen it 3 times each

FayFortune Mon 07-Jan-19 15:11:48

Every time I hear a bit it confirms I'm not going to like it. so I'm not stumping up!

I never got Annie or Starlight Express either. But pretty much all other musicals I do like or love.

Mind you I spent years saying this about Les Miserables but I did end up liking the film. My brother had it playing in his car for years so I suppose I tuned in eventually!

potatoscone Mon 07-Jan-19 15:13:27

I have been up in the gods for £37.50 and rear stalls for £100. Different views but was happy with both. Stalls gives you decent facial expression view, high up gives you full stage action view.

Now waiting for further tickets to be released. The summer 2018 tickets were released a few days before Christmas 2017. December 2018 only gave us April 2019.

I would pay no more than £109 each and not fused about which section, so will hunt for the best fit (would rather row end than in the middle, especially up high!) when they eventually come out.

lubeybooby Mon 07-Jan-19 15:14:20

honestly amazing - planning to go back asap

very clever. It's hard to express without giving spoilers as to the exact set up and things but I was still taking in the magnitude of what I had witnessed a week after seeing it! Bought the soundtrack immediately too (but I'd leave it a surprise if you haven't seen it yet)

LloydColeandtheCoconuts Mon 07-Jan-19 18:59:58

Thanks all smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »