Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone written a book with no previous training/background in writing?

(6 Posts)
onefortheroadplease Thu 19-Oct-17 06:57:42

Just wondering how likely I would be able to complete a book with no prior experience of writing?

Has anyone attempted this?

MaybeDoctor Thu 19-Oct-17 07:02:06

Well, you wrote 22 words there!

I have an unpublished short novel of about 60,000 words and am just finishing off a non-fiction book.

Pollaidh Thu 19-Oct-17 11:59:07

Yes. I played around with writing as a teenager and then didn't write again until about 4 years ago. I do do a fair bit of non-fic published report, press release type writing for work. Wrote a few fanfics that went down well. Got an original idea, wrote it over 3 tortuous years. The full manuscript has just had a revise & resubmit (i.e. good news) from the first place that I submitted it to.

Write for yourself, because you love the experience of writing and have a story to tell. The first 2 years of writing and editing my book I was writing for me with no intention to publish. Then friends, followed by independent critique partners (other authors) on the web loved it, so I started polishing in earnest. Not there yet (and I'm not sure about this publisher), but it's looking positive. It has been 3 long years of working evenings, weekends, holidays on it, on top of my day job. When I got stuck in the first year I started reading writing craft books such as "The Anatomy of Story" and that helped a lot.

Good luck!

icantthinkofanotherusername Fri 27-Oct-17 17:23:54

im writing one now, ive always loved to wright. Ive only been on it two months or so. jst finishing it now and then need to do al the spelling and grammer checking. then ill throw it on amazon kpd and see how it goes. Theres always possibilibtys. and my spelling is awful I now, no one needs to tell me.

TheCountessofFitzdotterel Fri 27-Oct-17 17:30:28

There's a lot more to editing than checking the grammar and spelling! Most published books undergo multiple drafts. There's a lot of craft to learn.
Do write your book - the only way to learn is to do it - but please don't just throw a first draft onto KDP. It's not fair on your readers or on the other KDP writers who work their socks off to polish their work and can do without having self published books given a bad name by people who don't know how much more there is to it.

GetAHaircutCarl Fri 27-Oct-17 17:54:15

I wrote my first book with no training and no experience.

I had literally never written anything since stories at school.

It was published and I've written nine more since ( plus a bunch of other stuff).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now