Talk

Advanced search

Writers' Forums?

(4 Posts)
TiggyOBE Tue 02-Aug-16 21:04:29

Are there any ones that you would recommend for a wannabe writer?

I'm currently sending off children's picture book manuscripts to agents (no luck yet), so ideally forums for that age, but any good ones for adults?

OnTheRise Wed 03-Aug-16 20:32:26

Writers of picture books tend not to work with literary agents, as the advance and income they generate is usually too low to make it worthwhile. So be careful of agents who say they specifically want picture-book authors, as they might well be scammers.

As for writers' forums, have you tried AbsoluteWrite.com? It's free, it's huge, and it's full of expertise.

schmalex Thu 04-Aug-16 13:14:31

That's not really true. I write picture books and I have an agent, as do many other picture book authors I know.
Are you a member of SCBWI, OP? They can help you find a critique group - either face-to-face or online, but in a private group forum.

OnTheRise Thu 04-Aug-16 13:37:18

I am glad you've found an agent, as a good agent is always a good thing for a writer to have: but I work in publishing and although it's been a while since I worked in this area, it is my experience that most writers of picture books do not have representation.

SCBWI is very good, isn't it? So supportive and helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now