Talk

Advanced search

Is there a blood test for Coronavirus?

(6 Posts)
3luckystars Thu 30-Apr-20 15:20:40

Sorry for my stupidity here, I know very little about viruses and how they work.

Can I just ask if a blood test would pick up Coronavirus?

Could one be developed?

I'd be grateful for any replies. Thank you.

OP’s posts: |
kevintheorangecarrot Thu 30-Apr-20 17:25:22

As far as I know, there isn't. I'm sure they'll probably develop a test at some point in future. However during a FBC, if your white blood cell count and ESR levels are high then that indicates your body fighting off an infection/virus, doesn't necessarily mean covid-19.

user127819 Thu 30-Apr-20 19:08:13

I don't think indicators of the virus (apart from general indicators of infection) usually show up in the blood, so blood tests don't work for active infection.

The new antibody tests will be blood tests though.

3luckystars Thu 30-Apr-20 19:27:12

Ok so a blood test would identify a virus, but cannot say which virus.
That's good to know.

I was thinking a blood test that would pick it up, even if it was mild would be really helpful.

Thank you so much.

pocketem Fri 01-May-20 16:26:37

US military biowarfare unit has developed a blood test that will detect presymptomatic/asymptomatic carriers. The test identifies the signature immune response to the coronavirus rather than the virus itself

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/01/us-germ-warfare-lab-creates-test-for-pre-infectious-covid-19-carriers

3luckystars Fri 01-May-20 17:12:57

Wow. I'm thinking this will be great news for anyone wanting to travel somewhere. (If that ever happens again)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »