Talk

Advanced search

I've had an ectopic and a possible CP. What should the GP do?

(11 Posts)
ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 18:28:11

I had an ectopic in March and this cycle (the first ttc since March) I have had what seems to be a chemical pregnancy - although I am horribly paranoid that it could also be another ectopic, but that's a different issue.

I have booked a GP appointment on Wednesday because I want to get checked out. I kind of think that the best outcome would be a referral for a laparoscopy [sp?] but am new to all this so not really sure.

Does anyone have any idea what should I be asking for?

ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 20:11:58

Anyone?

lou031205 Mon 14-Jul-08 20:14:37

Sorry scaryhairy sad. Apart from precluding an ectopic pregnancy, I think you will find that not much else will be done unless you lose a third.

ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 20:16:34

Crikey.
I had heard that was the case for miscarriages, but rather hoped they might be a bit more proactive because of the dangers of ectopics...

funtimewincies Mon 14-Jul-08 20:17:51

Sorry to hear that this pregnancy isn't working out as you'd hoped and that you've had an ectopic in the past.

A referral to EPAU is what you need. A laparoscopy is surgery and is unlikely until other checks have been done. Was your ectopic a 'straight into A&E' jobby, or did you have your blood hormones monitored first?

From my own ectopic experiences, the proceedure down our way is either GP referral to EPAU or A&E and up to the ward. Either way, it's a scan, pregnancy test and monitoring of HcG levels. Usually it's only a laparoscopy if you're either in obvious pain, you're still showing as pregnant 2 weeks after a bleed or the scan shows something iffy in a tube (sorry, you'll need an internal scan at this stage).

The reason that they cover all bases first is because a laparoscopy risks scarring any remaining healthy tube. Frustrating, but understandable.

If you don't get any joy with your GP, go to A&E and make sure that you know the name of the consultant who saw you with you last ectopic. Good luck.

lulumama Mon 14-Jul-08 20:19:35

nothing if it is a CP. why do you want a laparoscopy?do you have any other symptoms of EP? i know i posted on your other thead, am so sorry you are still so worried
have you had any pain or bleeding>

lulumama Mon 14-Jul-08 20:20:20

a transvaginal scan should be able to ascertain if you are pregnant and if it is in the right place, how many DPO are you?

ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 20:25:31

The ectopic was a bit of a funny one. I had a BFN and then a bleed which I thought was my period, but my temps stayed high-ish. I felt really pregnant too so did a test and got a BFP at 26dpo. I demanded to be sent to the EPAU because it didn't seem normal and after 5 days or so they diagnosed the ectopic - they could see it in my tube. It was really early so they gave me methotrexate and that did the trick - my levels returned to normal in about 4 weeks.

I don't think there is any point in me seeing the EPAU this time because after a BFP at 11 dpo, I have been getting negatives. As long as my temps drop I think I am in the clear for an ectopic this time, but I am waiting for that to happen (hopefully tomorrow). It's clearly not an emergency, but I am just really concerned that something is amiss (and that is why my pregnancies haven't been working) and that I need checking over properly. I just don't know what that means...

pinkpip100 Mon 14-Jul-08 20:34:55

No useful advice I'm afraid but I just wanted to say I'm really sorry you've had such a rough time of it recently sad.

ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 20:41:11

No pain and (annoyingly in the circs) no bleeding either Lulu. I just worry that something is wrong for me to have these two things happen only 3 months apart and that needs looking into. I'm not sure what looking they should (or even could) do, though.

ScaryHairy Mon 14-Jul-08 21:27:31

Thanks pinkpip. I saw your good news - congratulations. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now