Talk

Advanced search

Hayfever

(9 Posts)
OldMaBear Thu 21-May-20 13:18:07

Hi all.
I'm really struggling. I am trying to conceive and at that stage of my cycle where it't the monthly 'will I be/won't I be' question.
Anyway, I am suffering badly with hayfever and all of the medication I used to take states not to use whilst pregnant. I'm reading this to also mean not to use while trying to conceive as I don't know when and if I'll manage to get pregnant.
Does anyone else take anything and if so, what? I tried to ask the pharmacist but she said loratadine but the leaflet says otherwise.
Help! My nose and throat are so itchy!
Thanks so much in advance.

OP’s posts: |
1990shopefulftm Thu 21-May-20 13:21:11

A saline spray might help your nose

inwood Thu 21-May-20 13:23:01

I took hayfever medication throughout pregnancy - lortadine has the most research behind it i believe. I did stop my steroid nasal sprays.

I certainly wouldn't stop taking it while TTC.

OldMaBear Thu 21-May-20 13:53:37

Thanks @1990shopefulftm and @inwood. I think I'll start with a nose spray and see how I get on.
It feels like something I don't really want to bother the doctor over but I would love to be spending time in the garden right now!

apric0t Thu 21-May-20 14:26:04

I have several allergies including hay fever. I asked my GP what to do about needing anti histamines during pregnancy, he said on lots of normal medication it has a warning but it's actually fine and just has to be prescribed during pregnancy like as a double check kinda thing. I was able to keep using my normal boots own brand one. Oh and actually all my allergies vanished during pregnancy and in the end I didn't use any for ages! (All of them came straight back tho after baby was born)

LittleBrownMouse1 Fri 29-May-20 20:02:43

I picked up a medication free powder when pregnant from Boots that you have to puff up nose from a little white bottle (sounds horrible but wasnt too bad as hate nasal sprays) it worked as I suffer really badly from hayfever in my nose/throat. I think it stops pollen travelling any further up nose. Maybe have a quick check online to see if they still do it, sorry I cant remember the name.

cammie4 Sat 30-May-20 00:19:52

I've spoken to a GP as I also suffer, they suggested it's better to use a nasal spray rather than tablets as it's topical rather than systemic. I use a steroid spray only when I'm really bad, this year is bad!!

OldMaBear Sat 30-May-20 09:03:32

Thanks all. I actually had a BFP so now I’m pregnant!
I’ve got a call booked in with my doctor next week and I’m putting Vaseline around my nose to try and help but it is a really bad year. Typical!

LittleBrownMouse1 Sat 30-May-20 09:21:52

Congratulations smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in