Talk

Advanced search

Cheap pregnancy tests

(8 Posts)
Abi58 Fri 26-Apr-19 14:57:03

Hi smile
Ttc our first, only been off the pill for just over a month (no withdrawal bleed or period yet)

What are your experiences with the cheap tests? I have the one step sticks atm

As I don't know where I am in my cycle or what is going on with my body I've been randomly testing. Am I wasting my time with these from what I've seen they don't show positive til days after a normal one would?

Any advice appreciated grin

Kinsters Fri 26-Apr-19 15:10:50

I think the cheap ones normally aren't bad actually. The line wouldn't be strong but it's usually there pretty early.

If you have no idea where you are in your cycle though I'd recommend using OPKs instead. They'll go positive when you're about to ovulate (and then quickly go negative again) and also they show positive if you're pregnant (did for me anyway).

NannyPear Fri 26-Apr-19 15:15:46

Depends which ones. If you mean the test strips from Amazon or the likes then they are pretty sensitive (more so than Clear Blue or many of the supermarket tests). They are so cheap that you may as well use them every so often while you wait for a positive or a bleed.

Abi58 Fri 26-Apr-19 15:33:41

@Kinsters
Congratulations!
Thank you! Will give that a go I've not had a positive yet on them lines but all been fainter than the control so negative. Do they become a glaring positive when pregnant? (Poss tmi - sorry in advance!) I did las week have a new discharge (clear stretchy jelly like lump appear when I wiped) hoping that was a good sign lol!)

@NannyPear
Thank you
Yeah that's the plan really, I think I was just hopeful that it just wasn't picking it up, hate not knowing where I am in my cycle I don't know if my body is back to normal or still readjusting lol. Had the sorest nipples for a few weeks though when I stopped the pill (sorry if tmi lol)

Kinsters Fri 26-Apr-19 15:44:08

Oo that sounds like egg white cervical mucus - it's the fertile kind and indicates you might be about to ovulate when you get it.

Yeah, they go very positive when you're pregnant. The line on my internet cheapie test was so faint but the OPK was a strong positive.

Kinsters Fri 26-Apr-19 15:44:47

You could try tracking your basal body temperature? That's a good way for knowing where in your cycle you are.

Keyboard91 Fri 26-Apr-19 16:55:45

Be wary with the one-step from amazon. I’ve never got a positive on those, and I’ve had 2 pregnancies. But have got obvious positives on FRER and on CBD ... just as a caveat. If you read the reviews on amazon some people love them, other people don’t as they don’t show a PG confirmed by other tests smile

They are good if you become a POAS addict though!

FaithEloise Fri 26-Apr-19 19:28:17

On the 16th i got my first faint positive on a one strip test 6 days before my period was due to start! So i highly recomend them😊

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »