Advanced search

When's the best time to get pregnant? Use our interactive ovulation calculator to work out when you're most fertile and most likely to conceive.

Zico virous

(28 Posts)
MG35 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:23:42

Hi thinking about trying for baby following our wedding (october 2017) which is in a zico virous affected country therefore we have been advised by GP to use contraception until after this time.

Anyone been to a zico affected country recently and had advice on TTC?

I've read different things about how long you should wait?

ScottishLady7 Sun 01-Jan-17 22:40:57

Wait until six months after you leave the Zika virus area.
If it was just you going, the advice is wait 3 months I think but it could be passed to you in your OH's semen so since he will be going too you need to wait the six months.

MG35 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:08:29

Thanks, Absolutely gutted as my clock is ticking (ill be 37) and it took 3 years to concieve babba number 1.

teaping Sun 01-Jan-17 23:16:05

I'm getting married in may and although I don't know where our honeymoon is (OH is organising) I do know it's a zika-risk country. So unfortunately that means we'll have to hold off TTC until at least November. However; hopefully that means I can come off the pill after the wedding (after 15+ years on it!) and have a few months for my cycle to come back and settle down (hopefully!!) before we TTC.

MG35 Sun 01-Jan-17 23:40:39

That's also my concern as I'm on the pill its an additional time add on for TTC.

Good luck with the wedding and babaydancing post November xx

helenharry Mon 02-Jan-17 00:02:23

Different countries are at different levels of risk look on world health organisation website for info, this is were our doctors told us they get their travel advice from regarding it.

powerpuffer Mon 02-Jan-17 00:13:48

We went to a Zika country and paid for a private blood test when we returned which was turned around in 24 hours and showed we were both negative.

Expensive, yes, but there is so much uncertainty with Zika that if I got pregnant even after 6 months of abstaining, I would still be worrying. It was totally worth it for the peace of mind.

teaping Tue 03-Jan-17 09:58:59

Powerpuffer do you mind me asking how much you paid?

I don't suppose my OH will be prepared to have a blood test (irrational, extreme fear of needles, sigh) but I could ask. Otherwise we can't start TTC until at least November.

powerpuffer Wed 04-Jan-17 16:21:57

We went to The London Doctors Clinic, it think it was about £300 for us both. They said results would take 10 days but they were there the next day! Fabulous staff and the cheapest we could find and they had loads of info online. I got bitten when we were away and had a cold like illness when we returned so I'm so glad we checked otherwise I would have worried constantly. I would recommend.

Saz909 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:09:33

We also travelled to a zika zone, returning in Nov. The advice I read before we left was wait 6 months for a man showing symptoms, 28 days if not. We had no symptoms but did get bitten.

I have since found out that the new advice is 6 months regardless of whether you have symptoms because 80% of people don't have symptoms!

After enquiring with a private clinic, they said it is not recommended for couples who are ttc to be tested as it can produce a falsely reassuring negative - if the virus has left the blood but is still in semen or the virus is in the blood too early for antibodies to show.

We have decided just to wait the 6 months! Hope this helps

PotteringAlong Wed 04-Jan-17 19:13:19

Either wait or cancel the wedding. And be prepared that if you get married in a zika area plenty of your guests who may be conceiving / pregnant / have young children may decline.

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 04-Jan-17 19:18:02

Yes me and DH have just had Zika antibody tests to check it was OK to TTC. I thought I'd done my research before our holiday (Dominican Republic) - thought we had to wait 6 weeks after returning to TTC, and thought Dom Rep was low risk... Turns out it's high risk and because DH went we had to wait 6 months - virus lives longer in men, had I gone on my own we'd only have had to wait 6 weeks.
Luckily results were neg so we can TTC - but after the doc took my blood she said - "it's fine though because if you get pregnant, they'll just test you on the NHS and then if it's positive you can decide what to do then"... terrible!

BendydickCuminsnatch Wed 04-Jan-17 19:19:21

Wow PowerPuffer basically said the same way more succinctly than I did! grin

girlelephant Wed 04-Jan-17 19:31:24

Agree it's a 6 month wait from return date before TTC. Remember not everyone shows symptoms

MG35 Wed 04-Jan-17 19:36:14

We're going to wait the 6 months more time to save for mat leave I suppose

HbH04 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:25:03

We're off to Thailand on honeymoon next week & only found out it had Zika when I went for the jabs... So wanted a honeymoon baby sad

Plan A: don't get bit!

& if this (highly likely) doesn't work was thinking of a blood test to rule out...

Would you recommend powerpuff / bendy

I can't spare 6 months!!

MG35 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:44:10

Hbh04 I too want the honeymoon baby and at 37 at wedding i dont have 6 months to spare but not willing to take the risk. I would apeak to your Gp for advice.

HbH04 Wed 04-Jan-17 22:53:33

Annoyingly the nurse at the travel clinic told me to google it shock but that's a minefield!!

I'm sure the GP will say 6 months to be on the safe side.

powerpuffer Wed 04-Jan-17 23:21:51

NHS advice is wait 6 months. You can display no symptoms at all - some bites look just like spots. It's just not worth the risk. My GP was hopeless - didn't have a clue and just told me to Google.

At the private clinic they were very clued up. Their website details the two types of tests available and we had the one which was available 3 weeks after our return as it was more accurate. We got negative results on the day I was due to ovulate so we didn't miss any TTC time aside from actively trying on honeymoon. I would definitely recommend it, we are on month 4 of TTC and if I had to wait 6 months before this we'd be almost a year down the line which is not ideal for us.

HbH04 Thu 05-Jan-17 07:22:29

Thanks power really good to know there are options... I've almost been resenting going due to the zika worries/TTC (which is ridiculous when it's my honeymoon)

FX you get your BFP soon x

Lweji Thu 05-Jan-17 07:42:38

Right. Don't panic yet.

Take high grade insect repellent (40% DEET - look for Jungle Formula). Remember to use it regularly and to cover all exposed skin, but also under some clothes.

Look exactly what are the risk areas in the country will go to.
Check what the risk is for the time of year.

In any case, get proper travel advice from an expert travel clinic (not your GP's who look at the same leaflets that they hand you).
Check the Hospital for Tropical Diseases site.

powerpuffer Thu 05-Jan-17 18:34:12

HbH04 I know the feeling. It was our honeymoon too and I felt the same. In the end we agreed that we'd treat the cost of the blood test as part of the honeymoon and not worry - what will be will be and although we'd use Deet, cover up etc, if we got bitten we wouldn't worry as there's not much you can do about it and it's too late to worry. It was a relief to know that and when I got a bite, I knew there wasn't anything else I could have done to help avoid it so I just relaxed. It caused me no end of worry before we went though, I was obsessively checking reports of Zika in the area.

I hope all goes well with you, it's a horrible thing to have to think about at such a special time.

HbH04 Thu 05-Jan-17 20:56:43

Aw thanks power

I was super excited when we booked a couple of months ago, but have done nothing but worry ever since but now I know about the test I've been able breathe a sigh of relief! Obviously we'll do everything in our power not to get bitten but we'll enjoy ourselves and know we have options once we're home!

Anaconda33 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:54:08

Hi all

We are just back from Thailand and had been advised was fine to TTC in eight weeks - now 6 months. I'm totally totally sad, good to fine fellow people in same boat. Would never have gone if had know advice had changed - Ive wanted a baby for years and DP agreed after 5 years together in October we could try!

Were the private tests £300 each or for both? Am v low on cash but had heard were £600. Were they quite reassuring on what the result meant?

Thanks so much for help and advice

powerpuffer Sat 14-Jan-17 17:09:42

Yes, they were very reassuring. The cost was £327 in total - £136 each for the blood test and then £55 for a joint appointment to take the blood. The results were emailed over 24 hours later but we were told it could take 10 days. I was very impressed and thought it was a small price to pay for reassurance. I'm lucky that we both work in London so it was easy to arrange and weirdly, the cheapest place we could find.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: