Talk

Advanced search

PCOS periods and ovulation

(5 Posts)
igglethebloodypiggle Tue 14-Jun-16 18:57:24

I have PCOS and have been assuming that if I get my period I have ovulated 14 days prior

Mainly because it coincides with twinges I believe are ovulation pains

But this cycle I have used an OPK and it's getting lighter, first one was on a day I thought I was O'ing and it was negative

So I'm guessing I did O but prior to the OPK use?

NotSpartacus Tue 14-Jun-16 19:00:12

Opks catch your LH surge which happens before ovulation (about 36 hours or so). You may have been ovulating when you tested, but too late to catch the surge.
I have a very short, quick surge, so may catch it one afternoon and then OPKs are negative by the next morning.

igglethebloodypiggle Tue 14-Jun-16 19:03:13

Do you always ovulate when you get a period 14 days on?

Woobeedoo Tue 14-Jun-16 21:18:13

I also have PCOS and have been told that ovulation test kits are not at all accurate for us as our LH and FSH levels are the reverse of what they should be. Maybe you could test for ovulation by charting your basal temperature instead?

MagpieCursedTea Tue 14-Jun-16 22:00:09

I have PCOS and would get breakthrough bleeds. They were a lot like periods but I wasn't ovulating. I found charting my bbt to be the most accurate way to check if I'd ovulated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now