Talk

Advanced search

Can you ovulate twice in a month?

(16 Posts)
sophied1983 Mon 09-Nov-15 08:25:00

Since coming off the Pill in May, I've had some crazy long cycles - last one was 47 days!

Anyway, this month I tried one of the Clearblue digital ovulation kits as my friend gave it to me.

Two weeks into this cycle, I had high fertility on the test (never got to peak), EWCM, migraines and definitely noticed a heightened libido. So I assumed that was me ovulating, or my body at least thinking that's what was happening, which would have put me on an average 28 day cycle, although AF never arrived.

So then today (day 35 of cycle), the test showed high fertility again. It had dropped down to low in-between.

I'm so confused!

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 09-Nov-15 08:51:07

Long cycles, particularly if they are consistently long, can often be indicative of hormonal imbalances.

A "normal" cycle is a cycle length of between 21 and 35 days. Blood tests can be done to see what your hormone levels are like now. You initially need a day 2 test to check and compare your LH level against that of your FSH. These should be about the same; an imbalance of LH to FSH could be a possible indicator of a condition called polycystic ovaries.

If your periods are consistently irregular I would seek medical advice sooner rather than later. Blood tests as well can be done according to calendar days if the cycle is irregular as well.

These kits measure LH; what these kits assume is that there is one rise in LH every month and that such a rise is followed by ovulation. Both of these statements are simply not true. These kits are beset with problems and such kits should not be used with long cycles because they can give misleading false positive results. IIRC it states similar on the box.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 09-Nov-15 08:55:38

Did you have irregular periods as a teenager as well?. If so periods are more likely to revert back to that irregular pattern. If you were given the pill because of this issue as well, the pill has basically masked the symptoms of the underlying problem.

Consistently long cycles should be investigated further to determine if there is a problem with the thyroid or if there is a condition like polycystic ovaries.

nannyplumislostinspace Mon 09-Nov-15 09:02:33

good advice above. Before you ask your GP for further investigations I would do a pregnancy test. This happened to me and it was because the OPK was picking up the pregnancy hormones. Good luck

sophied1983 Mon 09-Nov-15 09:03:52

Yes - they were very irregular when I was young, and random too. Would last for weeks sometimes, then I'd go six months with nothing. So got put on the Pill at 15 and have been on it ever since (am now 32).

The three periods I've had since coming off the Pill have all lasted exactly five days - heavy for three, lighter for two - so they've been pretty 'text-book'.

PretzelPrincess Mon 09-Nov-15 09:04:08

Could you be pregnant? This happened to me and it was because the pregnancy hormone and ovulation hormone are similar in structure and the kit cannot tell them apart. Do a test! Then see a gp.

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 09-Nov-15 09:52:34

I was going to suggest you could be pregnant too. Do a test!

sophied1983 Mon 09-Nov-15 10:35:23

I will get one at lunch. Would be amazing if I was. Coming off the Pill has been horrible sad

sophied1983 Mon 09-Nov-15 14:19:57

So nope, it's not pregnancy (shame!) so clearly my body being weird instead!

Whoknewitcouldbeso Mon 09-Nov-15 14:38:23

Fertility acupuncture is excellent at getting your cycles back on track. I would absolutely recommend if you have the funds to go weekly.

Weddingbelle13 Mon 09-Nov-15 22:20:52

Following as ive just posted a similar thread - I got a positive opk today on cd8 of 33 not quite sure what's going on x

sophied1983 Thu 12-Nov-15 07:23:07

Reached peak fertility on day 38 of cycle?! This is crazy!

Weddingbelle13 Thu 12-Nov-15 20:37:42

Are you Defo not preg ? X

sophied1983 Thu 12-Nov-15 21:53:45

Nope, not according to the tests I've done sad

Weddingbelle13 Sat 14-Nov-15 00:38:07

sadthat's pants

okpa11 Sat 14-Nov-15 12:06:38

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now