Talk

Advanced search

People Genuinely believe it isn't a 'thing'

(35 Posts)
hopelesslydevotedtoGu Tue 17-Jul-18 14:27:35

greenmonk.net/2010/01/07/what-if-we-create-a-better-world-for-nothing/

This cartoon sums it up
(I haven't read the article below it yet)

The vast majority of scientists think climate change is genuine.
A small number don't.
The outcome of not acting if climate change if happening is devastating.
Many of the changes to reduce climate change are actually good in other ways too.
With any scientific area you never know 100%, things are always open to new evidence. If we waited for 100% certainty we would never do anything. You need to act on the best available evidence and continue reviewing.

I do know one climate change denier who changed their mind in recent years. It hasn't stopped them flying round the world, but it has stopped them sharing nonsense on facebook, so that is something.

hilbobaggins Wed 11-Jul-18 22:50:23

What exactly do you think this “97% of scientists” agree on, DancingLedge?

hilbobaggins Wed 11-Jul-18 22:40:47

So, Dancingledge, have you watched what he had to say? What did you think about the evidence he presented?

bionicnemonic Tue 10-Jul-18 18:39:25

To the people who say ‘what have we got to lose’ surely even if you don’t believe it the world would be a better place for all of us if we treated with respect?

DancingLedge Tue 10-Jul-18 18:36:17

Founder of Greenpeace??
Not so.
www.desmogblog.com/patrick-moore

DancingLedge Tue 10-Jul-18 18:33:09

Well, 97% of scientists says man - made climate change is happening.
You know, the people with the skills and knowledge to critically assess the evidence.

hilbobaggins Tue 10-Jul-18 18:28:49

But there’s also plenty of evidence to the contrary - or, rather, there is a lack of evidence that any “climate change” is due to human activity.

I’m honestly not trying to be provocative, because I used to be constantly worried about climate change too. Hot summers used to immediately call to mind images of melting ice-caps and dying polar bears. But I’ve changed my mind recently because I just don’t think the evidence is conclusive. Far from it.

If you are worried about climate change, and believe in it, you will go out of your way to find evidence that supports the view that climate change is happening and more importantly that it’s due to human behaviour. That means you approach the subject in a way that is immediately one-sided. But honestly, how much time have you invested in reading books and watching videos by scientists who challenge your view? I promise you that if you do,
what you find will surprise you. You may want to start with the founder of Greenpeace, who left the organisation disgusted by the approach activists were taking. He is one of many who speak up (bravely, in my opinion) against the climate change juggernaut, calling for a more rational approach. There are many others like him.

You may think that I’m an ignorant “denier” and feel free to ignore what I’ve said (although if you do that, it might be worth thinking about what causes you to have that reaction). But if you’re up for it, my challenge to you is to spend a week researching the “other side” and seeing how you feel after that. What have you got to lose?

Chocolatelavender Tue 26-Jun-18 04:08:59

It puzzles me too. So much evidence. Scientists speaking up and articles written and still so much denial. I read a news article once (can't remember what it was titled otherwise I would find it and link it) where it discussed the is climate change caused by human actions or is it just naturally occurring. It basically said that if this climate change we are experiencing was naturally occurring then it would occur more gradually over hundreds or thousands of years. But the rapid changes we've already experienced have occurred over the last few decades. The polar icecaps are melting. We've already lost significant amounts of icebergs. Rising sea levels, increased temperature in the oceans leading to coral bleaching (the great barrier reef is dying), longer and hotter heat waves, increased frequency of destructive storms like hurricanes etc., and so, so much more. What more needs to happen before the majority of us pull our heads out of the sand. I've heard far to many people (usually the older generation) saying: 'It's not going to happen in my lifetime.' And I think that this apathy towards our future generations is partly to blame. I feel like saying to those people: 'So you don't care about your children and grandchildren then.' But it wouldn't make a difference. So many people in powerful, influential and government positions are in the older generation bracket. And while not all of the older generation are apathetic towards climate change (a fair few climate scientists are in the older generation) a great many seem to want to make it through their lives without giving up old ways of doing things (because it's easier and familiar). So, denial it is. For younger generations I think denial has a lot to do with either feeling powerless or simply trusting that the older generation is right. In Australia our government has been advertising that coal is still very important for our future and that the alternative fuel and energy resources are not as good. So, we continue to mine coal, use coal and invest in coal powered infrastructure rather than infrastructure that uses alternatives. This comes down to greed and money. People believe what is advertised and it influences their actions.

causeimunderyourspell Wed 30-May-18 12:54:26

I think people would rather bury their heads in the sand about something they can do practically nothing about than get 'shook' hmm

DropItLikeASquat Wed 30-May-18 12:33:27

I am stunned by the sheer amount of people that don't believe that Climate change is real and that the world is just doing what it naturally does without any human influence.
WTAF?
Im shook- and speechless that people can dismiss it so candidly.
thoughts please....... so my mind doesn't cave in. TIA

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »