Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

What is that bit of skin called that attaches the lips to the gums?

(4 Posts)
blondissimoismarried Thu 24-Sep-09 09:27:19

Because ds (14 months) fell yesterday and it has got stuck in the gap between his two front teeth! I didn't notice at the time as there was a bit of blood, so just calmed him down, but have noticed he wasn't smiling the same this morning and have had a look and it definitely looks like there is skin stuck in there!
Anyone had experience of this and what do you do?
Have tried to get it with a toothpick blush, but to no avail, and don't want to hurt him or damage it further! Poor mite!

I think it's called a frenulum. Ooh gosh, no advice - maybe take him to the docs?

spongebrainmaternitypants Thu 24-Sep-09 09:29:35

I wouldn't touch it at all, in case you cause more injury or infection. Take him down to your surgery and ask the nurse to have a look.

Hope it's sorted soon.

blondissimoismarried Thu 24-Sep-09 13:54:35

Thank you for your replies - I asked my friend who is a nurse to come over and she had a look but said it will probably work its way free.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: