Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

multicystic kidney at 22 wk scan...

(11 Posts)
corblimeymadam Mon 20-Jul-09 15:14:10

Message withdrawn

Marthasmama Mon 20-Jul-09 17:47:43

Bump.

angel1976 Mon 20-Jul-09 20:25:22

belgianbun - Didn't want you to have no replies... My best friend in Oz has a baby girl (she just turned 1 and is bigger than my 17-month-old DS! hmm). At her scan, they found out she only had one kidney (not sure what happened with the other one) but they weren't sure she needed surgery or not till she was born (thankfully not!). She had fully functioning remaining kidney and hasn't had any health problems associated with it.

Talking to another friend about this, she told me her DH only has one functioning kidney and didn't even know about it till he had an x-ray as an adult! Obviously, in the olden days, they didn't really do scans so no one was none the wiser. Will your LO need surgery when he/she is born? That would be my immediate concern. But rest assured that if his/her renal function in the remaining kidney is fine, then try not to worry too much! I know it's hard... Take care!

rupertsabear Mon 20-Jul-09 20:33:00

I don't have experience, but this happened to a friend of mine with her ds. She had an amnio as was advised that when one anomaly is found it's best to screen out any others. Baby was fine, but had surgery to remove the kidney when he was 3yo (I suppose there was a risk that it might have caused problems later). Obviously not very nice but he recovered very quickly and is fine.

phlossie Mon 20-Jul-09 20:44:57

I have two friends who had this with theirs. The first's ds has regular scans - every 6 months, but is well and healthy (now 4.5yo and a lunatic). The second's dd has regular scans too, was on antibiotics for the first few weeks of her life, but is also well and healthy at 3.6yo... and also a lunatic. I've only just thought of that - I wonder if there's a connection?!?

I hope all goes well with your baby. Remember that the consultants etc always err on the side of caution. It is shocking though - you forget that you're not just in for a scan to have a look and a coo over your baby. smile

claremal Mon 20-Jul-09 20:55:21

Hi there; my friend's little boy now 1.4 has this and is very healthy. He came a little early (35 weeks?) but not as early as his big brother who came at 32 wks, so there is probably no connection. His kidney grew huge - adult size - in utero but this didn't cause any problems save that she was advised to have a c section because he had such a big tummy. Her consultant expects the kidney to be absorbed and disappear altogether, probably before he is 5. Even with his very large kidney there was no suggestion that surgery would be needed. He did have tests in his first year which confirmed no function at all. His other kidney is completely normal. Good luck and don't worry.

corblimeymadam Mon 20-Jul-09 22:24:31

Message withdrawn

corblimeymadam Thu 23-Jul-09 20:23:48

Message withdrawn

deepblue Mon 03-Aug-09 09:12:43

Think my younger sister, now nearly 8, has this. Can't recall the exact term but yours sounds familiar. My DSM had extra scans but was told that it's surprisingly common and most adults don't even know they have it as prenatal testing wasn't so advanced then. She was also told that there was no concern as the other kidney functioned perfectly and only one is 'necessary' iyswim. Obviously if she ever has a problem with that kidney then it would be much more of an issue. My sister hasn't had any treatment at all that I am aware and is perfectly healthy. Hth.

corblimeymadam Mon 03-Aug-09 09:14:49

Message withdrawn

weegiemum Mon 03-Aug-09 09:18:19

Em .. no experience as a Mum, but i have a cystic kidney!

have had some bother as an adult with stone formation, but none as a child.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now