Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

The night before we go on holiday - what is wrong with my child???

(28 Posts)
oysterpots Sun 14-Jun-09 19:15:10

DH has just put DS (23 mo) in the bath and yelled for me to come and have a look.

He's got spots all over his back, chest, a few under his arms, on his bottom and legs. They are raised, some have a tiny white head - don't think it's heat rash.

He seems fine in his mood, hasn't eaten a huge amount today but generally alright.

DH have both complained of feeling sick but that could just be pre-holiday jitters! I don't have any spots.

Flying to the south of France for 10 day holiday, leaving in less than 12 hours. It's not chicken pox is it? Tell me it'll be ok and we can still go!

FluffyBunnyGoneBad Sun 14-Jun-09 19:17:08

I'd give NHS direct a call and arrange to see the out of hours. It does sound like chicken poz but as none of us can see through the computer screen it's hard to tell. Sorry.

Lovemyshoes Sun 14-Jun-09 19:17:51

You may not want to hear it, but, it sounds like chicken pox to me.

Doozle Sun 14-Jun-09 19:22:47

Also sounds like chicken pox to me too, I'm afraid. Do they look like little blisters?

oysterpots Sun 14-Jun-09 19:23:03

Crap, so I guess if it is the pox, we can't go

TrinityRhino Sun 14-Jun-09 19:25:51

does sound like chicken pox
I'm sorry

but you should ring nhs

Doozle Sun 14-Jun-09 19:26:54

I don't think they'll let you fly if that's what is is. Sorry, prob not what you want to hear!

We were just on holiday and there was a family out there with a kid who got chicken pox while they were there. They were told all spots had to have scabbed over before they could fly back.

IDidntRaiseAThief Sun 14-Jun-09 19:29:51

oh no, does sound like it.

cookielove Sun 14-Jun-09 19:30:15

i know this is really terrible, but i knew some one who's child had chicken pox and they went on holiday anyway, he din't have any on his face so they got away with.

However i'm not suggesting you do this as he only had it very mild and wasn't badly affected by it, plus it is just morally wrong.

And also it does sound like chicken pox to me

oysterpots Sun 14-Jun-09 19:38:16

this is it

cookielove Sun 14-Jun-09 19:40:10

that doesn't look like chicken pox, i would get it checked out

bubblagirl Sun 14-Jun-09 19:44:29

that doesn't look like chicken pox but i think would need checking to be honest could be viral rash but any rash should be checked to be on safe side

MarmMummy Sun 14-Jun-09 19:46:38

I would say definately not chicken pox (having just been through a double dose)

Looks like viral rash or heat rash to me.

Worzsel Sun 14-Jun-09 19:47:12

Is it behind his ears ?

Ds had a rash like that recently, it was on his head (not face) behind his ears and allover his torso.

I was german measles.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 14-Jun-09 19:48:58

It looks and sounds a bit like urticaria (hives) to me. Was there something in the bath he may have reacted to? This would explain the spots being at the back of his body, where he was lying down in the bath.

motherpi Sun 14-Jun-09 19:50:11

Def not chicken pox. Heat rash? It's been extremely warm recently.

If it was me, I'd wait until tomorrow and, if he still feels well, convince myself that they 'look better' and go anyway.

oysterpots Sun 14-Jun-09 19:53:54

Yes!!!! I bloody well hope you lot are right

I've put in a call to NHS direct who are, apparently, 'exceptionally busy' - I've told them we'll accept a call anything up to 10pm.

Just been googling 'heat rash' and it does look like that... motherpi, I like your style wink

MumHadEnough Sun 14-Jun-09 19:54:01

Another who doesn't think it looks like CP. Rubella rash doesn't have white heads does it?

Prob def worth getting him checked over.

Good luck, I hope its just a wee heat rash and you get to go on holiday.

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Sun 14-Jun-09 19:55:54

Have a look at google images for pictures of urtcaria - looks just like it to me. Antihistamines are the solution if that's what it is.

Worzsel Sun 14-Jun-09 19:56:48

Ds's didn't have a head on but they did have white bits in the middle, it wasn't raised though so hopefully not that.

moonmother Sun 14-Jun-09 20:05:30

My Ds had that last week, it's just a heat rash.

I smothered him in calamine lotion at night, and Aveeno cream in the morning, and kept him as cool as possible and within a few days it had gone.

Hope you enjoy your holiday grin

PfftTheMagicDragon Sun 14-Jun-09 20:19:14

That's not chicken pox. I would place money on it.

Wallace Sun 14-Jun-09 20:19:40

Definitely (as far as a random stranger over the internet can tell!) heat rash. Enjoy your holiday grin

Kbear Sun 14-Jun-09 20:30:40

has he had suncream on today? Sometimes that + heat = rash. Doesn't look like chicken pox, the spots are usually quite separate from each other, that looks more like heat rash. Has he been in the car seat today, that could have made his sweatier than usual.

Hope it's not the pox and you have a lovely holiday!

Hulababy Sun 14-Jun-09 20:39:29

Looks like heat rash or maybe hives. Antihistimine should help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now