Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

really bad breath in 12 year old

(11 Posts)
jetcat32 Mon 01-Jun-09 20:33:54

My DD1 is 12, and has the most horrendous bad breath. She can brush her teeth for 2 mins on a morning, with me standing over her, yet her breath doesnt smell any different! I then do them for another 2 mins but it doesnt make much of a difference.

We have tried all kinds of mouth wash, toothpaste etc. but nothing helps. She was last at dentist a year ago - all was well and she is due back next month.

Someone did mention to me that her kidney problem could be the cause of it (kidney reflux) but i am not sure? She has had this for as long as i remember, though it does seem to be getting worse!

Please does anyone have any tips, as I am worried that she may end up getting picked on at school (she is bit of easy target anyway)

BonsoirAnna Mon 01-Jun-09 20:35:24

Does she floss?

lilolilmanchester Mon 01-Jun-09 20:42:51

my Mum always used to say that if your breath smelled, you needed a poo... any chance she's a bit "bunged up"?

jetcat32 Tue 02-Jun-09 07:27:34

no she doesnt floss - should she???

she is regular as clockwork - though i am sure that that end stinks more than normal as well!

Will broach the subject of poo with her later - she is a bit sensitive lol - to see if she is bunged up - though we are talking months/if not years for the bad breath.

thanks for replying

herbietea Tue 02-Jun-09 07:34:23

Message withdrawn

bruffin Tue 02-Jun-09 08:50:07

bad breath can be a symptom of sinus problems. Does she get headaches?

southeastastra Tue 02-Jun-09 08:57:49

take her to the dentist, he can see if there are any dental problems causing it.

abraid Tue 02-Jun-09 08:58:43

Is she a mouth breather at night? IF so, nasal strips may help to keep her nose passages open.

I and my two children use a variety of appliances to stop ourselves breathing through our mouths.

jetcat32 Tue 02-Jun-09 10:48:52

wow - so much to consider!!

yes she cleans her tongue, she has one of those fancy toothbrushes to make sure she does!

not dehydrated i would have thought, as due to persistant water/kidney infections, she drinks at least 6 bottles of water a day (under instruction from consultant)

mouth breather?? no idea, she does snore though, i will watch her tonight when she is asleep. May be asking a stupid question, but why does mouth breathing cause bad breath??

no sinus problems as far as i know, she would be the first to tell me if she had a headache.

and she is at dentist next month. When she went for check up last year, he said she just needed to make sure she cleaned her teeth properly - but AFAIK, she/we are!

abraid Tue 02-Jun-09 17:35:51

Yes, it causes bad breath. I speak with bitter experience. If she snores she almost certainly is a mouth breather.

If you google on the British Snoring association or something like that, you'll find a website with lots of ideas. My children use nasal strips on their noses. I use something which is moulded to fit my mouth and stops me breathing through it. I also insert something into my nose to keep it open. I look oh so sexy at night.

jetcat32 Tue 02-Jun-09 19:04:08

lol abraid - i actually have sleep apnea, so i use a cpap on a night - def most attractive!!

will look into that, thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now