Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

My 11 month old baby keeps touching his head - behind his ear

(9 Posts)
MarlaSinger Fri 19-Sep-08 19:12:51

I thought maybe an infection, but the doctor said no (over a week ago now)

so then I wondered if a molar might be causing him pain but apparently it is too early.

I am getting really quite worried about it and imagining that it is something really awful that's wrong with him

He is really grouchy at the moment, but has got a terrible cold (not long started nursery) in fact we are all ill with it, sore throats and snotty noses for well over a week now.

What else could be bothering him?

Will the doctor think I'm mad if I ask for an MRI for him? hmm

undercovercat Fri 19-Sep-08 19:13:47

ear infection, even if the doc says it isnt. I bet.

MillieMummy Fri 19-Sep-08 19:14:55

My DS used to fiddle with his ears when he was tired - could it be a tired signal ?

MarlaSinger Fri 19-Sep-08 19:18:52

I don't think so Millie as he's been doing it on and off all day - after waking, after food, while playing... etc

undercovercat - he's not had one before - should I just give calpol/nurofen or does he need to see a doctor?

WigWamBam Fri 19-Sep-08 19:20:38

If he has a cold, his ears may be sore even if there is no infection. The ears, nose and throat are all connected, and if his throat is sore then his ears probably are too.

Does it improve with Calpol? Dose him up and see if that helps.

And yes, the doctor will think you're mad if you ask for an MRI scan on a baby just because he's touching his head! But I suspect you realise that anyway wink

MasterBatesLePew Fri 19-Sep-08 19:20:44

I go with sore ear as well. It might not even be an infection but if he has a cold it could be blocked and sore. I'd medicate and see how he is after that.

MasterBatesLePew Fri 19-Sep-08 19:21:08

oops x-post

tokentotty Fri 19-Sep-08 19:22:41

Too early for molars ??? I can guarantee you it isn't ! My DS does this when he's tired and also when he's teething. At the moment I'm sure two of his bottom molars are coming through (13months) to match the top two that came through at eleven months.... Is apparently very common for them to play with their ears when teething.

hth

undercovercat Fri 19-Sep-08 19:40:22

Dose him up, and take him back monday if hes not ok by then, and not looking better.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now