Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Heart murmur detected at 10 month check-up

(12 Posts)
StellaWasADiver Thu 21-Aug-08 09:42:38

Should I be worried? Doctor was a bit vague as I guess they don't want people to worry. He is referring DS to the paediatrician, does anyone know what they will do?

IShaggedInVictorianSqualor Thu 21-Aug-08 09:57:05

Oh Stella, how worrying.
I don't really know much but I have had a couple of friends who had heart murmurs that never had any problems.

IShaggedInVictorianSqualor Thu 21-Aug-08 09:58:24

www.medic8.com/healthguide/articles/heartmurmurs.html iT SAYS HERE MOST ARE HARMLESS SO TRY NOT TO BE TOO WORRIED.
(Sorry caps)

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 10:06:18

my dd1 is 5 and they have just detected a heart murmur

she has been referred to the cardiology dept and what my gp said they will do is some ultrasound scans - like the ones you get when you are pg - of her heart, and possibly and ECG or an ECHO which is like an ECG

does he have any other symptoms? breathlessness, blue lips? if not then it could be what they call an 'innocent' murmur and your ds could quite possilbly grow out of it or that it will just be 'there' and he will not suffer at all

best wishes x

nailpolish Thu 21-Aug-08 10:07:21

i think what they want to look at are the valves inthe heart - and to see if there are any holes - but dont worry, its more common than you imagine and most are innocent smile

sagacious Thu 21-Aug-08 10:09:40

Ds had one at his 6 month check up (had gone at 18 months.)

My niece and another friend had similar as well (both got all clear)

Very common
And I know I'll say don't worry (but I did despite knowing it was likely to be nothing)
So Dr being vague is good
Chase up peads appointment if they're dragging their feet

Hope all goes well!

AMumInScotland Thu 21-Aug-08 10:36:15

Lots of children have them, and the majority do turn out to be innocent - not caused by anything which will ever cause them a problem, just a little extra sound which doesn't signify anything.

My DS had one detected at his 3 year check, and had various tests, but it turned out to be innocent.

He had blood tests, a chest x-ray, and then an ultrasound. The blood tests show whether the heart is having to work harder than it should be, which would be a sign there is a problem. The x-ray would have showed if the heart was enlarged, which again shows it has a problem and is having to work harder.

The ultrasound, as nailpolish says, is to look for problems with the heart valves. If the murmur is caused by a problem, it would most likely be one of the valves not opening or closing as well as it should.

As other have said, lots of children have them, and if you weren't worried about any symptoms before the checkup (not growing well, listless etc) then there is a good chance it is innocent and won't need anything done.

StellaWasADiver Thu 21-Aug-08 10:37:27

Thanks everyone
Thanks for the link VS - my googling gave me hundreds of results about cats hmm

He is otherwise fine as far as I can tell, growing well, nice and fat, energetic and noisy and generally being a baby

Fingers crossed the appointment won't be too far off.

StellaWasADiver Thu 21-Aug-08 10:38:28

How scary for your DCs to have all those tests done though, poor little mites.

IShaggedInVictorianSqualor Thu 21-Aug-08 10:42:59

Apparently DP had a heart murmur, and it went. I never knew that before.

WilfSell Thu 21-Aug-08 10:45:07

Hi. I have a heart murmur. It can be a symptom of something else but most often is not. It is usually just a noise caused by a flap of skin usually where the prenatal bits that are open heal over.

I have NEVER had any problems with it. I very occasionally have had it checked out (maybe 3 times in my 40 years - once as a baby, once as a teenager then once before my first child was born).

When I was younger I was told to take antibiotics when having dental treatment but after the third pregnancy check up I was told even that wasn't necessary.

Many people have them and don't know they do.
Please don't worry unduly - if no other symptoms are found, it shouldn't affect your DC's life at all.

AMumInScotland Thu 21-Aug-08 11:08:38

Strangely enough my DS was not bothered by the xray or ultrasound, but hated having cream put on the back of his hand to numb it before the blood was taken!

BTW he is now 14 and taller than me, and it has never affected him in the slightest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now