Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

DD won't let us clean injury

(12 Posts)
Starch1e Mon 13-Nov-17 19:45:10

Help! DD (4) fell over and has got a fat swollen lip and blood all round nose/mouth. Won't let us clean it or put cold compress on. Screams and fights. TV and food bribery making no difference. What would you do?

CherieBabySpliffUp Mon 13-Nov-17 19:46:58

Would she clean it under your supervision?

Snap8TheCat Mon 13-Nov-17 19:47:33

Let me do it? Once she realised what it feels like she might be more willing for you to have a go.

Snap8TheCat Mon 13-Nov-17 19:47:54

Her do it that should have said!

MrsJayy Mon 13-Nov-17 19:49:46

Show her her face in the mirror and let her do it she might calm down enough to let you help her

Dinosauratemydaffodils Mon 13-Nov-17 19:49:51

Get her to help you do the same to a favourite toy and then get the toy to help you return the favour?

That was how we managed to clean and bandage Ds's (2) cut foot a couple of hours ago. I had to disinfect one of his toy spider's legs and stick a plaster on it.

ktkaye Mon 13-Nov-17 19:51:51

I’d probably back off and let her settle (assuming it’s ‘just’ a bump and isn’t likely to be more serious) but get some Calpol in her to take the edge off it being sore...then suggest a warm bath and lots of bubbles and see if she’ll gently wash her own face or get in there myself gently with a flannel if she seems more relaxed. Hope she’s ok.

Fadingmemory Mon 13-Nov-17 19:53:57

Trying giving her a bowl of ice cubes to "play" with under supervision and put some pieces of cotton wool or make-up remover pads by the side. The cubes will begin to melt and you could then dab your own mouth. She may copy you.

LeonoraFlorence Mon 13-Nov-17 19:56:27

If all else fails do it when she's sleeping. Is it almost bed time?

killerwhale Mon 13-Nov-17 19:57:10

I would try when asleep, had a similar issue with a splinter.

DancingLedge Mon 13-Nov-17 20:01:29

Is it still bleeding?

If not, cleaning up is just a cleanliness/ not making a mess issue.It doesn't matter if it gets left till she calms down. Even tomorrow will be fine. Getting worked up is more likely to keep it bleeding, or contribute to swelling.

Bath her, if that will work, but really, don't worry.
It's us adults who have a need to clear blood away. It doesn't really make any difference.

Starch1e Mon 13-Nov-17 20:22:18

Thank you for all advice.
Got her to take some calpol. She won't clean it herself either. Leaving now as it is (past) bed time and want her to calm down. Bit worried about potentially wobbly teeth but will just have to see in morning.

She's always like this with any injury and I get fed up with the drama when just trying to check/clean it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now