We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

10 month old permanently constipated

(9 Posts)
Desperad0 Sun 08-Oct-17 08:29:52

I'll just start by confirming I'm not the poo troll grin
Since we started weaning (baby led) at 6 months ds has been constantly just doing tiny hard poos (that stink) the first couple of weeks he seemed in pain but now we don't even really notice him going
He has plenty of water, loads of fruit, veg with at least one meal a day.

Any suggestions?

furryelephant Sun 08-Oct-17 08:32:17

My DD is the same except she won't eat fruit or a lot else really hmmshe was on lactulose for a long time and now we try and get about 1/3 of an Ella's kitchen prune pouch into her every few days which is helping massively!

EvilDoctorBallerinaVampireDuck Sun 08-Oct-17 08:35:23

I'd go to the doctor. My friend's DD doesn't have a straight end to her bowel and still has problems with constipation at age 9.

Bobbybobbins Sun 08-Oct-17 08:45:54

I would definitely go to the doctor. Our son was constipated for 3 days when he was 14 months and the doctor told us it can get very bad if left untreated as the bowel is a muscle that needs to be exercised or it will become sluggish and stretched

Desperad0 Sun 08-Oct-17 12:48:18

Thanks all, wish me look getting an appointment with the gp!
To clarify though he does go (twice) everyday, it's just rabbit pellet like

MiaowTheCat Sun 08-Oct-17 20:36:21

What might help in the meantime - look up (not while eating) the Bristol Stool Scale and start logging all movements. The "Rate The Shit" game is grim - but with it, and the time of movements you might start to get some pattern emerging and at the very least it's good information to go armed with to the GP.

If it helps you're aiming to get past the rabbit poos, past the big logs the average adult would secretly be rather impressed with, and you're aspiring to something much more like the consistency and outward appearance of toothpaste. That apparently is the Poo of Awesomeness, the type 4, the Oscar of the Poo stakes and That Which Must Be Aspired To.

I may have a somewhat warped sense of humour when it comes to childhood constipation now - I've got a child who suffers from chronic constipation so spend half my life with my head in the toilet bowl trying to work out what dose of laxatives she needs that day.

Bobbybobbins is right though - if you get on top of it you'll be really doing yourself a massive favour - when it's left to go on untreated you end up with a right bloody nightmare to sort out as the bowel gets stretched out of shape (think of a balloon filled with marbles of poo - only liquid slop can get past and it stretches) and you can end up with the runs constantly but a really constipated child who loses all sensation of when they need to go... which you do NOT want if you can avoid it!

ERIC is always a good resource to look at (helpline open Mon-Thurs until about 2pmish... can be a bit of a bugger to get through to but well worth contacting them, or leaving a message for a call back or going via email). Also www.thepoonurses.uk/ please don't be put off by their web address!

MiaowTheCat Sun 08-Oct-17 20:37:20

The stink might well be that the poo's sitting around too long in the gut as well, or struggling to get past compacted poo sitting in there - one of the signs of constipation as well is really really putrid stinky poos.

Desperad0 Mon 09-Oct-17 09:24:23

Thanks Miaow- since becoming parents it would seem about 25% of our conversations are about poo!

MiaowTheCat Mon 09-Oct-17 21:12:55

Oh we went through a period toward the end of the summer (DD2 is 4 but has never been great toileting and with constipation and had a hospital stay bedbound where she'd been back in nappies 100% as a result so had regressed totally) where it felt like me and DH only ever communicated in terms of the Bristol Stool Scale!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now