Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Baby lump in neck (Photo)

(18 Posts)
onedayimightforget Sat 31-Dec-16 13:59:52

DD2 is 6 months old. She had bronchiolitis for the second time about 3 weeks ago. I got her checked at the GP and she said that her glands were swollen and her throats was red and to keep an eye as it could become tonsillitis. Around a week later I got her checked again as I noticed these lumps on her neck and she wasn't feeding as well. We saw a different doctor who said her glands weren't swollen and her throats was clear. She still has these lumps in her neck. I'd never noticed them before but they might have always been there. Is this normal?

The photo's not great but it gives you an idea.

user1482334903 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:02:51

Hi,

Did the GP mention the lumps?

onedayimightforget Sat 31-Dec-16 19:25:45

No, it's kind of difficult to see them as in her normal position her chubby chin covers it up but when she moves her head to the side like in the photo it looks really obvious. He said an artery runs down there so it could be that as I said it looks kind of grey/blue, but would that show as little lumps like this? She was one on each side in the same respective place.

BumWad Sat 31-Dec-16 19:27:20

Looks like a vessel to me

user1482334903 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:32:43

It looks like some sort of vein/ artery/ blood vessel to me too. If it was me, I would take her to the doctors along with photographs and have it checked out. I go by the rule that any lump/ bump warrants a medical opinion - even if it is just for your own peace of mind.

My daughter had what I thought was a pulsating vein in her neck when sleeping. I videoed it and showed the doctor and it turned out to be completely normal - just her pulse. Let us know how you get on xx

onedayimightforget Sat 31-Dec-16 19:32:43

So perfectly normal? And just weird timing for when I first noticed it?

user1482334903 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:48:23

If it was me, I would seek a medical opinion. If the lumps are difficult to see, I would take a photograph to show the GP. I am the type to always seek medical advice whenever I am in doubt or concerned. At least of your GP confirms the lumps are normal then you will have peace of mind.

Xxx

user1482334903 Sat 31-Dec-16 19:54:00

I would be reassured by the fact that the lumps are on both sides of her neck in the same place. I would still see the GP though. Just to be on the extra safe side xx

Missmiller Sat 31-Dec-16 20:07:05

Looks very much like a vein, my dd has tgese- tgey stand out and look blue but more so when she's crying or screaming!

TheRealCurlySue Sat 31-Dec-16 20:46:02

My little boy has this, I just think
It's his vein. As another poster says, seems to be more bulging when he's having a tantrum!

MoonfaceAndSilky Sat 31-Dec-16 22:53:57

My DS(12) has always had this too, thought it was just a vein hmm

sleepy16 Sun 01-Jan-17 10:24:55

My son has this, was told not to worry by gp.
His is only on one side.

onedayimightforget Sun 01-Jan-17 11:02:14

Thanks all. We've got a routine appointment with her consultant this week so I'll mention it just to be sure but I'm feeling reassured now.

sleepy16 Sun 01-Jan-17 17:01:43

This is my sons, he is two.
Like I said I was told that there was nothing to be concerned about.
Please let me know what the consultant says though as will be interested to hear if they think the same.

ramnikmathur Mon 02-Jan-17 02:50:57

That looks like a valve in the jugular vein. A doctor needs to feel it, to be sure!

teenmumandsowhat Fri 06-Jan-17 14:26:25

My son has a large lump in his neck currently, but It is at the front of the neck, just to the right hand side. That was confirmed to be an abnormal lymph gland, and so he's got to have an operation to remove it this month.
It is still unclear what the cause of this is, and he has other lymph glands swelling up too.

I don't know what you dc's lump is, but it would also be worth getting the doctor to check their underarms and groin too.
As sometimes they are all to quick to try and fob you off.

onedayimightforget Sat 07-Jan-17 19:32:30

I mentioned it to the GP when I took her for an appointment this week and she looked quickly and said it's a vein. I never noticed anything similar in my older daughter, maybe it's just more obvious in some children than others.

KevinMcCallister Wed 11-Jan-17 09:56:07

DD aged 6 has the same lump in the same place. I've always thought it was a blood vessel.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now