Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Glasses and squints

(5 Posts)
ktmummy1 Tue 14-Jun-16 17:30:43

My dd 3yrs 9montgs developed a squint just after her 3rd birthday. Glasses were prescribed fairly promptly and her squint resolved with them on (but was more pronounced without them which I believe is normal). Recently, I have noticed her squinting when focusing with her glasses on, I am concerned about and wondering if this indicates a need for stronger glasses. She has a check up with the Orthoptist next week but wondering if anyone knows what I should expect ? Thanks

dementedpixie Tue 14-Jun-16 17:35:06

Might need a change in prescription but might not. My Dd had a squint that wasn't fully resolved by glasses so she ended up with an eye operation to correct it. Does she have good sight in both eyes and has she needed patching treatment? My Dd needed patching treatment as the squinting eye had poorer sight than the other eye and the patch forced the sight to improve in that eye.

ktmummy1 Tue 14-Jun-16 18:03:01

The squint comes and goes. Much more pronounced without her glasses on. She has good sight in both eyes , her prescription is only +1.5 and +1.75.

ILoveAGoodBrusselSprout Tue 14-Jun-16 18:11:06

DD, now 15, has had glasses since age 3 for a squint. Hers is in both eyes (not at once) and her glasses help her eyes work together. Her eyesight is good, but, despite this, over the years, her prescription has got stronger to help the eyes focus together. Unfortunately, her squint is not the type that can be fixed with surgery, although we've been told laser eye surgery may help when she's an adult.

When she got self conscious about glasses, she had contacts for a year or two, but went back to glasses for fashion! She loves them now

ktmummy1 Wed 15-Jun-16 17:37:55

I don't understand if eyesight is good surely a stronger prescription would mean she couldn't see with them on. I'm confused by it all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now