Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

E. coli in newborn, positive stories please

(8 Posts)
MargolottaOfUberwold Fri 08-May-15 22:46:55

DNiece is 2 weeks old

Hospital has diagnosed E. coli and are currently doing a lumbar puncture to see if it has spread.

Praying she will be ok

MargolottaOfUberwold Fri 08-May-15 22:57:36

Anyone? Please

MmeLindor Fri 08-May-15 22:59:09

No experience, but just wanted to offer some ((hugs)) and wish your DN luck. How awful for her, and your family.

Wistfulthinking Fri 08-May-15 23:17:17

Hi, I don't know the details but my niece also had E coli which manifested as a UTI as a newborn of less than two months. She had antibiotics and made a full recovery. I wish your DN all the best.

MargolottaOfUberwold Fri 08-May-15 23:28:41

Thanks for sharing wistful dnstarted as uti too

APMom Sat 09-May-15 19:52:10

The E Coli that's in a UTI isn't the same as the food poisoning one afaik. My dd always had a UTI caused by E Coli and a friends daughter once had E Coli food poisoning and was very lucky to survive.
Does the baby have a UTI, they may be worried how far through her system it's gone, hence the lumbar puncture. E Coli food poisoning affects the blood vessels in the kidneys first and then travels to other parts of body but I know my friend's dd never had a lumbar puncture. She was on dialysis for around 2 weeks. I hope your niece gets better.

Northernlurker Sat 09-May-15 19:54:50

I believe that dialysis is not uncommon in children with this infection so don't panic if that is needed OP. It's a supportive measure whilst the kidneys recover. Obviously this is a very scary time for you all but dn will get the best of care.

blizy Sun 24-May-15 00:13:40

My ds had ecoli through a UTI at 5 weeks old. He had to have lumbar punctures too. He was in hospital for 8 days and had to return daily for 10 days for IV ab's. He has had a few tests for kidney function and awaiting an MRI to check for scarring on his kidneys. He has made a full recovery and I'm sure your lo will too, it's terrifying at the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now