Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Lumps behind ear - anything sinister?

(7 Posts)
Madcat22 Tue 11-Mar-14 21:02:07

DS (3 years old) has two lumps on his head directly behind one ear. They are hard to touch (although not sure how hard as don't want to press them too much) and just normal skin colour. He says they don't hurt and is not remotely bothered by them. Anyone had any experience of this? I've read online it could be lymph nodes - he had just had chicken pox so this would make sense. We are going to take him to the doctor but wanted to see what MN folk had to say too....

alwaysneedaholiday Tue 11-Mar-14 21:04:03

Sounds like lymph nodes to me - especially if he has just had an infection/virus. How long have they been up for?

I would probably give them 2/3 weeks to go down naturally, then go to the GP if not.

CandyKate Tue 11-Mar-14 21:06:14

Yes my DS had these. Freaked me out as I didnt think there were lymph nodes there and they were very hard. Took about 3 weeks to very slowly disappear. I really wouldnt worry.

ByTheWishingWell Tue 11-Mar-14 21:13:05

I've had one of these for about 15 years. It was quite big to start with, then shrank within a week or two. It's never bothered me (and I never bothered to ask a doctor about it blush).

puffylovett Tue 11-Mar-14 21:15:22

Ds2 has had one since birth. MRI and ultrasound showed a dermoid cyst - we joke that his extra toe or twin are inside it!

ItStillLooksLikeRainDear Tue 11-Mar-14 21:22:10

My DS had these after chicken pox too.

Ifyoubuildit Tue 11-Mar-14 22:08:08

We had them after the pox too, just swollen glands according to the doc -they were there for about 4 months and then went. He also got some infected spots in his hair which is probably why they were there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now