Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Dd's been awarded DLA - What else do i need to do ??

(20 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 11-Nov-13 08:56:55

She got lower rate mobility ad higher rate care.

I know i need to tell tax credits and that I can also claim carers allowance, but is there anything else I should be doing ??

I currently claim ESA for myself, but am I right in thinking I can now claim Income Support instead of that ?? This is the bit that is confusing me the most tbh.

Wasn't sure which section to put this in, which is why it's here lol

Brittapie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:05:33

I'm not sure, but is usually very good.

Is there an organisation or charity for your DDs condition? They can be good too.

Branleuse Mon 11-Nov-13 09:13:10

yes, you will be able to claim income support

ParsingFancy Mon 11-Nov-13 09:21:26

I would hesitate to give up your ESA, because as it's a work-replacement benefit you get National Insurance credits on it, towards your pension or future JSA claims.

In fact, even if you're getting £0 for ESA (eg because you've been sick for more than 12 months and are in the WRAG), it will still count towards NI.

ParsingFancy Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:34

Would a blue badge or disability bus pass be helpful? Eligibility is down to the local council, but mobility DLA is often a passporting benefit.

Dumpylump Mon 11-Nov-13 09:23:52

Yes, you can claim Carers Allowance, and your tax credit award may go up a little. Don't know about ESA sorry, but if you're not sure, then CItizens Advice Bureau are pretty good at helping with benefits.

lagoonhaze Mon 11-Nov-13 09:26:28

you can claim IS as soon as you have claimed Carers allowance.

You get Home responsibilities protection on child benefit so don't need to worry about NI conts when coming off ESA.

Brittapie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:27:32

The NI credits come with having a child under 5 (with the child benefit) so I assume they come with carers and income support as well. Income support is also a work replacement benefit and is a LOT simpler to be on than ESA, which is a pain in the backside.

Bus passes are usually only given for higher rate mobility, but I only get low rate and I have one - you can ask for special consideration.

lagoonhaze Mon 11-Nov-13 09:27:43

Also request a carers assessement from you local council.

BoysiesBack Mon 11-Nov-13 09:27:55

If she's been awarded higher rate care then you should notify tax credits as you can also claim the disability element of TC.

Claim CA too but be aware that this is means tested so will be taken into consideration with your TC claim & any award of ESA/income support etc.

Brittapie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:28:11

Actually it might be all child benefit. Worth checking.

lagoonhaze Mon 11-Nov-13 09:30:42

Perspective21 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:36:40

Our council requires higher rate mobility for automatic blue badge application but there is nothing to stop you checking your council pages online and checking their criteria. Perhaps you would be successful with an additional document, like a GP letter. Do phone someone and find out. I was a bit reluctant to get mine at first but it is so helpful to be able to park near to the entrance of places and do away with some of the carrying of a heavy 4 year old!

Good luck

KissesBreakingWave Mon 11-Nov-13 10:13:07

It's carers' allowance that comes with class I NI. (I'm getting that one myself.)

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 11-Nov-13 21:20:15

Only just had chance to come back to this. Going to read through it all now smile

TheOriginalNutcracker Mon 11-Nov-13 21:26:32

Loads of help there, thank you all.

I was really surprised that we got any mobility tbh. Dd is 13 and has depression, anxiety, an eating disorder, self harms and has attempted suicide twice, hence the higher rate care, as when she is down she needs 24/7 supervision, and all her meals etc have to be supervised too.

I think we got the mobility because she struggles to go out, and cannot walk to school alone, or anywhere else alone for that matter, and she couldnt ask for directions if lost or needed help.

I will ring up about tax credits and carers tomorrow and then sort out income support.
I think from what I read, the income support will be reduced by how ever much carers allowance I get, but not 100% sure on that.

I am so so pleased that we got it, as it will help so much even with things like making sure there is a varied amount of food in the house incase she decides she does want to eat, and the times when she suddenly needs to get out of the house and I have no petrol in the car.

Have to say, I also felt a bit guilty that we got it, but not sure why confused

IamInvisible Mon 11-Nov-13 21:31:14

Don't feel guilty Nutcracker. Regardless if what the Fail says it is hard to get. If she wasn't entitled (I hate that word I don't know why, probably the Daily Fail), you wouldn't have got it.

I really hope it helps your DD. Good Luck with everything.

NoBusinessLikeSnowBusiness Mon 11-Nov-13 21:49:57

Second what Invisible said. DON'T feel guilty. Sounds like a very tough situation there for everyone involved. Save your emotional energy for your dd and yourself. Best of luck and I hope your dd will be able to come through it in time if that's possible. flowers

RandomMess Mon 11-Nov-13 21:52:37

So pleased your dd has been awarded this, I really hope the extra support it will enable you to give will help her turn a corner.

JaquelineHyde Mon 11-Nov-13 22:05:11

Really, really glad you put in a claim and have been awarded it.

Claim Carers and IS straight away and let Tax Credits know.

IS is a gateway benefit so once you are in receipt make sure you check out all the schemes to see what else you may be entitled to, that could just help you that little bit more. I'm thinking the winter fuel scheme, not automatic anymore for IS claimants but you can apply to your provider and should be awarded it and also the free insulation and boiler scheme.

I hope that the DLA gives you and your DD a little bit of breathing space and makes life a bit easier.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now