Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Uh-oh, measles

(10 Posts)
Misfit13 Wed 27-Mar-13 21:09:47

DS's half brother, 9, was sent home from school today with measles. Does anyone know a) if they need to be kept apart (DS is 3 and vaccinated) and b) how poorly his
brother is likely to be? Online information is a bit contradictory and ex is a bit clueless. He thinks his 9yo
may not have received his vaccinations :/

narmada Wed 27-Mar-13 23:26:44

Has your 3 yr old had his pre school MMR booster yet?

Poor DSS. hope he gets off lighttly with it, but if you have care then straight to a source of medical advice if he seems very unwell......

Misfit13 Thu 28-Mar-13 01:16:00

Thanx for answering, narmada.
My 3y old has not had the booster. Is he not protected, then, until then?
Ex took his son to the nurse today and is going to the GP tomorrow. I'm hoping the GP will know what, if any vaccinations were given. I don't even know whether it's all or nothing - whether having at least some is better than none, or whether not completing them is no better than having had none at all, iyswim.

BeaWheesht Thu 28-Mar-13 01:32:54

Please ask him to phone gp in Advance so he won't be in waiting room .

Also call your GP or HV and ask for your ds to have his booster now.

Misfit13 Thu 28-Mar-13 08:32:35

Good ideas, BeaWheesht.

The boys were together on Tuesday, so it's probably a bit late, but I'II phone and see what they say.

Ex took his DS to the nurse yesterday, who confirmed measles, so I would think they'll 'quarantine' him, anyway today.

PepeLePew Thu 28-Mar-13 08:54:24

ds was v unwell - he was pretty tiny though and too young to have had the MMR. He was admitted overnight though I think that was dehydration as much as anything else. Hope your DSS is ok and your DS escapes. ds was around several other unvaccinated babies the day before he got sick and they were all ok.

Misfit13 Thu 28-Mar-13 12:08:37

Poor baby sad
My DS is having the booster this afternoon, at 3, just when he's at his tired/grumpiest - if this morning's reaction to having his fringe trimmed is anything to go by, this will be fun!

SunflowersSmile Thu 28-Mar-13 12:52:24

Think booster good idea though I thought first jab pretty good cover?
Would be bad luck indeed to get it after first MMR?
[I wait to be corrected!].

idiot55 Thu 28-Mar-13 21:15:22

Id question the measles diagnosis, slapped cheek can be very similar ( dont always get slapped cheek)

Gp will take mouth swab for measles.

SimLondon Thu 28-Mar-13 23:05:43

First jab is meant to be 90% effective and the booster is just to cover the other 10%. Nothing is certain though but think the odds are in your favour.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: