Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any orthodontists or dentists on here?

(11 Posts)
ihatethecold Tue 26-Mar-13 19:46:55

My son 13 is getting a fixed brace. The dentist needs to take out 2 teeth. 1 on each side.
He had 1 out today. Another out next week, then 2 days later they are fitting the brace.
Is that too soon?
Someone said to me today that their child is having a gap of a month to allow the mouth to heal before putting in a brace.
Should I cancel and let his mouth heal first?

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 19:49:34

Not a dentist ihate, but DS1 exactly the same age. He had two teeth out and we were told 2 weeks until he could have the brace.

RayofSun Tue 26-Mar-13 19:55:25

Hi there. I'm an orthodontist and it really makes no difference how long you leave unless awaiting an eruption of another tooth ( which does not sound the case). Two weeks tends to be an arbitrary figure that is considered a long enough period after the extraction for the child to feel comfortable with us being in their mouth. In the same way, I have fitted braces on the same day as children have preferred that!

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 19:57:35

Do you enjoy it Ray? I am in awe of DS1's Orthodontist-especially the team work with the nurse and the instruments/ wire/ coloured jewelly things. I could watch it all day.

ihatethecold Tue 26-Mar-13 21:15:20

Thanks rayofsun, great advice

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 21:16:39

How is your DS feeling about it all ihate?

ihatethecold Tue 26-Mar-13 21:28:33

He is ok.
Bit worried about having the first tooth out today but he said it wasn't as bad as he thought.

He said he's not concerned that he has to back next week for the other one to come out.

Nearly all his mates are going through the same process.
When I was at school maybe 2 or 3 kids in the whole school had braces now every buggers got them!

How long does it take to fit the actual brace?

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 21:32:02

I think it was only twenty minutes/ half an hour.

The biggest PITA is the 6 weekly tightening adjustment and trying to get an appointment out of school hours.

He had the top brace in July and had the bottom one fitted in February. the big thing is the teeth cleaning and interdental brushing to keep it all clean.

ihatethecold Tue 26-Mar-13 21:38:26

Did he have a sore mouth afterwards. If so what did you use?

Sparklingbrook Tue 26-Mar-13 21:41:24

No he didn't but I thought he would. They gave us some wax to put on the brace if it rubbed but DS1 has never used it. At first he struggled to eat-fear of breaking the brace, and it was uncomfortable. But all ok now, although certain foods are a no-no.

ValenciaOrange Tue 26-Mar-13 21:57:39

You can get a gel called Iglu from Boots , my dd found it very helpful when she got sores before her mouth hardened up around the braces. We had a four week gap between extractions and braces as that was what our orthodontist recommended. Her gums were still bleeding for about five days after the teeth were taken out, so I can't imagine she'd have felt too comfortable having the braces fitted in that first week.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now