Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Red rash on one side of 9m/o DDs face

(5 Posts)
smoggii Sun 23-Oct-11 09:31:19

Hi all,

I had a call from DDs nursery to come and pick her up because a red rash had suddenly come up all over one side of her face. It was bright red (looked like a strawberry birthmark) and spread from the left side of her forehead over her left eye (which also looked bloodshot) down over her left cheek.

She had been eating tea at the time of Tuna and cucumber rolls, all of which she has had before and was taken off her as soon as the rash appeared, just in case.

I took her to the doctors, the appointment was an hour and a half later (some 2 hrs after the rash first appeared) by the time we had got there it had almost entirely faded.

The Doctor diagnosed Parvovirus B19 (Slapped Cheek) as she did have a light rash on her back and has had viral symptoms and been a bit under the weather for about a week.

I know this is going around our area at the moment so I'm not doubting the diagnosis but I am worried that the face rash might be a seperate thing and may have been an allergic reaction. I can't find anything about parvovirus B19 to suggest that a rash would suddenly come up and suddenly fade.

I know all viruses can sometimes force themselves out as a rash but again this was so sudden.

I would love some other views. Should we avoid Tuna and Cucumber for a while, she has already had bread since and nothing happened, or is it just coincidence with the time the rash chose to appear.

Thanks

Solo Sun 23-Oct-11 12:47:27

Since it doesn't seem to be life threatening, I'd personally give her another tuna and cucumber sandwich and see if it returns. If not, slapped cheek, which is what I thought when I read the thread title.

CurrantPun Sun 23-Oct-11 13:04:19

I thought slapped cheek syndrome when I read the title too.

Hope your DD is okay smoggii.

DeWe Sun 23-Oct-11 15:17:15

One of the things about slapped cheek is that it does come and go. With one of mine it was just as you describe. Dd1 I thought it had gone, then it came back with avengence.
Much less likely to happen to have a reaction at the same time.

smoggii Sun 23-Oct-11 20:36:15

Thank you all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now