Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Support thread for parents with children who have febrile convulsions.

(4 Posts)
TheRealMBJ Fri 10-Jun-11 08:08:30

DS (17 months) had his 4th febrile convulsion last night. Previous 3 were during the same illness 6 months ago.

We are curretly in the hospital forobservations and to see the paediatrician.

The fits scare the living daylights out of me and turn me into a gibbering mess. Although I know it's not my fault I feel very guilty for not being able to control his temperature (even though I know that there is no clear evidence that anti-pyretics affect the numberof seizures) and like I have failed to protect him sad

Is there anyone else who would like to come and share their stories ?

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 10-Jun-11 08:41:30

DD had several when she was really small. All were prior to an infection that required hospital admission. She had dysentry and pneumonia a couple of times each.
She outgrew them.

TheRealMBJ Fri 10-Jun-11 09:16:13

I know they outgrow the around 5. Which seems like a long way off now grin. I suppose it doesn't help that my darling MIL likes to make me feel responsible..

kreecherlivesupstairs Fri 10-Jun-11 13:53:51

Of course you are responsible. It was my fault that DD had so many hospital admissions. Of course it wasn't the fault of her DS that we'd gone to live in a 3rd world country, or the fault of the Nationals that they had filthy fingers which they put all over DD.
I know how scary it is to see, I am a nurse but I used to get a bit freaked out when it happened.
Fingers crossed they will start to tail off. I think DD had her last (of about 15) when she was 3ish.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now