Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help if your child is unwell. If you have any serious medical concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Cough, medicine & sleep in 5 month old

(4 Posts)
Pootles2010 Tue 04-Jan-11 15:52:05

Help please! This is first time our LO has been poorly, so bit clueless. He started with a cough sat night, gotten worse since, really bad last night, took him to drs this morning, said its nothing to worry about but as he's got earache put him on amoxyclin (sp?). Also advised using ibuprofen as well as calpol, when needed. He's got real hacking cough, gets very upset, and sometimes struggles breathing.

So firstly - other than the meds i've got him on, any tips to help with his plegm situation? Also, he's sleeping loads today, much more than normal - do i just leave him to it? Bit worried about disrupting sleep schedule.

Thanks!

Scootergrrrl Tue 04-Jan-11 16:16:45

Vapour rub on his feet just before bed and top with socks. It sounds bonkers but we tried it a couple of days ago for 9 month DS and it does really sort out the cough and some of the snot. According to the Internet, its something to do with reflexology points on the feet.

Sirzy Tue 04-Jan-11 16:24:31

If he is struggling to breathe I would go straight to a and e - look for him sucking in under his ribs when breathing.

Otherwise lift the head of his cot and use steam to clear his chest

Pootles2010 Tue 04-Jan-11 18:31:25

Well its not that he's struggling as such, its just a bit raspy sometimes, not all the time, and the dr heard him doing it so i'm not overly concerned, just feel bad for the poor mite.

Thanks for advice!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now