Talk

Advanced search

Book for pony-mad girls aged 7 and up

(17 Posts)
marialuisa Fri 06-Jun-08 15:13:51

Have just found out that Silver Snaffles by Primrose Cummings has been published again.
www.fidrabooks.com/publishing/shop.shtml

cadelaide Fri 06-Jun-08 23:58:48

What a fab publisher, will add to faves.

Don't know "Silver Snaffles", will get it for DD (pony-mad and 7, perfect!)

MarmadukeScarlet Sat 07-Jun-08 00:18:46

I've read loads of those, am going to get some for me DD.

Thanks for the link.

NickiSue Sat 07-Jun-08 00:23:28

Sandy Lane Stables from Usborne is a great series. "Look at them herewww.usbornebooksathome.co.uk/organisers/catalogue/browse_catalogue.asp?css=1&subject=FF&subcat=FSLS& id=279"

Quattrocento Sat 07-Jun-08 00:23:30

Fab link - thank you - gosh the Far Distant Oxus - what a lovely book that was

Marina Sat 07-Jun-08 00:24:00

This is a lovely retro read too Ponies Plot

Quattrocento Sat 07-Jun-08 00:25:15

Oh I have read that - my word - how fantastic.

NickiSue Sat 07-Jun-08 00:25:43

Well thats bleddy annoying! Messed the link thingy up! sorry!
Bonny Bryant wrote the Saddle Club books too. Hope that helps!

seeker Sun 08-Jun-08 21:32:54

Marina - I think I love you! I hadn't thought about Ponies Plot for nearly 40 years - but I know my dd will love it!

harpomarx Sun 08-Jun-08 22:19:37

They might be a bit old for a seven year old, but I loved the Jinny and Shantih series by Patricia Leitch when I was a child. Magical stories set in the wilds of scotland, not prim and gymkhanaish but really exciting and romantic.

nkf Sun 08-Jun-08 22:23:47

I read the Pullein Thompson books. I think there were a couple of sisters. Still remember the Silver Brumby series.

Enid Wed 11-Jun-08 12:56:00

The Pony Camp Diaries series is very good. Nice writing, lots of techy stuff and aimed squarely at 7/8/9 year olds.

Please avoid Katie Price's perfect ponies unless you like hearing little girls call other little girls 'cows' and appreciate having a link to Katie's adult website on the inside front cover hmm

Enid Wed 11-Jun-08 12:57:28

omg

have goosebumps

Fly by Night by KM Peyton is on that Fidra list

<<swoon tastic>>

mistlethrush Wed 11-Jun-08 13:17:09

I was horse mad as a child. I loved this series (description from Wikipedia):

"The Silver Brumby series is a collection of children's books by Australian author Elyne Mitchell. They recount the life and adventures of Thowra, a magnificent pale palomino brumby stallion, and his descendants, and are set in the Snowy Mountains region of Australia."

Also Rosina Copper is a magical book (by Kitty Barne) - sort of a Black Beauty brought upto date in a way...

NorksDrift Wed 11-Jun-08 13:26:32

these people publish old favourites as well.(not pony stories)

RosaLuxembourg Wed 11-Jun-08 13:52:34

I want Gay from China at the Chalet School.

Gingerbear Wed 27-Aug-08 15:23:56

bumping this thread - does anyone know where I can get hold of The Saddle Club books by Bonnie Bryant?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now