Talk

Advanced search

Highway Rat

(16 Posts)
Wheels79 Sat 13-Jun-15 20:22:28

Does anyone else have trouble reading Highway Rat. I can't get the rhythm to work. Do you have any tips?

Sweetsecret Sat 13-Jun-15 22:03:53

Yes! it is really difficult to get into any rhythm with it. I think it's the extra "the highway" that makes it difficult. Have no advice other than reading it a few times, to get to grips with it.smile

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 13-Jun-15 22:07:51

I adapted it to make it scan better, until ds3 realised he could read it and I'd missed a "the highway" out. He made me read it the "proper" way angry

BikeRunSki Sat 13-Jun-15 22:09:52

I don't like it either

NormHonal Sat 13-Jun-15 22:11:11

Yes, I struggle with that too.

Keep meaning to download the audio book and listen to how it's done on there.

Princessdeb Sat 13-Jun-15 22:16:28

I love reading this book. I use a similar metre to the way I read The Highway Man, the poem it is based on. I find a slightly faster tempo works well. I love Julia Donaldson books mainly because of what a joy they are to read out loud. Although my DD is 8 now and is outgrowing them.

Only1scoop Sat 13-Jun-15 22:17:23

I don't like it

Coffeeinthepark Sat 13-Jun-15 22:22:43

Like it a lot and haven't found it a problem to make it scan. Loved it when my then 3 year old said his toy car was driving "faster, ever faster"

pasbeaucoupdegendarme Sat 13-Jun-15 22:28:20

As princessdeb says, it's a parody of The Highwayman... The metre is just the same. There must be a YouTube version of that somewhere you could listen to to get an idea. The repetition bit is supposed to give the sound of the horse's hooves cantering, I think... The highway, the highway, the highway...

I think it's very clever smile

pookamoo Sat 13-Jun-15 22:32:27

The Highwayman

pookamoo Sat 13-Jun-15 22:40:22

Full poem

Branleuse Sat 13-Jun-15 22:43:37

i love this one, and dont find it a problem

Chocolatewaterfalls Sat 13-Jun-15 22:47:24

I heard Julia Donaldson & family read (and act out!) this at the Oxford literary festival. It was brilliant. I think it sounded great with a scottish accent

hugoagogo Sat 13-Jun-15 22:50:00

I'm not keen either.

Some Julia Donaldson books are brilliant, but they don't all work so well.

Move on and read something else

LaurieMarlow Mon 15-Jun-15 10:24:02

I adore it. But I love The Highway Man so the rhythm is already ingrained.

ThinkIveBeenHacked Mon 15-Jun-15 10:28:12

Im donating mine to an English teacher friend as I hate it and she loves teaching poetry and said she would use it with her lower sets.

Now Stick Man....theres a great JD book. And the Snail and the Whale

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now