Talk

Advanced search

Anybody at school in the 80s rem a sci fi book about going forward in time and somebody coming back with an insect stuck on their shoe?

(10 Posts)
Prarieflower Fri 19-Oct-12 22:47:59

We did it in school but have no idea what it was.grin

Prarieflower Fri 19-Oct-12 22:51:01

Apparently you weren't supposed to come back with anything,can't rem how it ended.

Fabulousfreaks Fri 19-Oct-12 22:54:47

Is that the Ray Bradbury short story?

MsHighwater Fri 19-Oct-12 23:00:19

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Sound_of_Thunder

I remember it

TodaysAGoodDay Fri 19-Oct-12 23:14:23

Oh my god, I remember that! I have wondered in the past what it was, so thanks. I like Ray Bradbury books, another favourite is Fahrenheit 451. Fab books IMO.

Fabulousfreaks Fri 19-Oct-12 23:17:13

Ray Bradbury is amazing. I cried and cried at The Foghorn and I loved The Veldt

imperialstateknickers Fri 19-Oct-12 23:17:41

I think it's a Ray Bradbury short story, something about some wanker on a commercial time travel tour squashes a butterfly 65 million years ago and the whole modern world sort of disintegrates. Definitely in my 1980's school library.

imperialstateknickers Fri 19-Oct-12 23:21:56

Was it Bradbury who wrote a similar one about some simple mobile-vegetable lifeform on Venus that eats the Earth-germ infested plastic wrapper off the astronaut's instant camera film, and dies just as the over-excited astronaut crew radio the news of life on Venus back to Earth.

There was something so touchingly simple about 1950's sci-fi.

Prarieflower Sat 20-Oct-12 17:51:12

Wow that was it!!!!!

Mighty impressed,has been bugging me for years.

Thanks!grin

GoldenPeppermintCreams Sat 20-Oct-12 21:23:50

It was used as part of a GCSE English exam in the nighties. It was our mock exam paper, so I remember going over the story in detail in class afterwards.

I was/am a big sci fi fan as a teenager so I remember it vividly. Going to read it again now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now